Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

EVERYONE with Pro 5.0 please help....

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVERYONE with Pro 5.0 please help....

I just installed my new Pro 5.0 shifter about two weeks ago. Here are the issues.

1- I used black paper gasket material and black RVT sealant, I also cut and used a small peice of black paper gasket inbetween the stick and the shifter. But I still get a ton of vibration noise out of the unit at higher RPMs.

2- The stick will not center when it's not in gear.

I have read that many others have also had these two problems, and I'm not looking for solutions as I've done my research and will try some of the things that have been recommended by others before. But here is my issue.

If the springs are week in the shifter and it won't center properly, WHY DOESN'T THE Pro 5.0 INTALL STRONGER SPRINGS? Well I called the company and spoke to Joseph, and he blamed the issue on my transmission springs going out. He also said they they have NEVER had anyone call them and complain about this issue, and they test all their shifter before shipping and find them to be perfect. But I have read many people here on this board complain about the springs being too weak.

What I'm searching for is the truth from all you users of the Pro 5.0. How many of you have had issues with this shifter? How many of you have not liked this shifter, and why? How many of you have had to replace the springs so it would center properly?

I told Joseph that I was going to post this question here and email him the responced from actual users of this product. So please chime in if you have anything to say good or bad. Joseph told me that message boards are mostly lies and other manufacturers that slander the competition. Let's show him, good or bad, what actual pro 5.0 users have to say about their shifter.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:03 PM
12 Second Club

I have installed a pro 5.0 in my car and one other car. Neither of us have had any problems.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got a pro 5.0 and I'm very happy with it... however, I would say that the centering springs are a bit on the weak side for my preference... I plan on doing the "bolt head spacer" mod to strengthen the springs.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the pro5.0 is a very loud shifter, you just gotta deal with it, or go back to the hurst.
as far as the centering spring, mine seems to work just fine. overall, i preffer the pro5.0
Old 09-23-2004, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pro 5.0 is great! i had to learn to get used to it being loud and a lil jitty but i love it now!
Old 09-23-2004, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had mine for about a year now, and I love it! Like all the others said, it is loud and does vibrate a lot, but hey for the performance gain over the stock hurst POS, I can live with that. I tried the gasket solution too, but it did not help at all, so when I put the shifter back in after installing my clutch, I just used blue rtv and stcuk it back on without any gasket. PRO-5.0 rocks
Old 09-24-2004, 08:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a new pro 5.0 the springs are a lot weaker than the stock Hurst.... My car had 5k miles so nothing is worn out. The shifter hangs when taking it out of gear from 2nd. You can mod it and crap but whats the point of a shifter that you have to fix. I think I've gotten used to it... I wish the springs were stronger, if Pro5.0 sold the springs I'd change them but I'm not going to rip apart my Hurst. Look in the other thread.. theres probaly 10 other people saying the same thing. If they weren't weak, there wouldn't be people swapping hurst springs, getting home depot springs, or cutting boltheads and putting them in their shifter.
Sincerly,
Mr Hurst -CEO (ha,Tudds)
Old 09-24-2004, 10:13 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's really odd that some people have this centering problem. I've had 2 Pro 5.0's and they've worked fine. The odd thing is I sold the one off my 01 Z to my buddy with a 9 WS6 and it wouldn't center either... so I don't know.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

I've had the same problems you do. To fix the rattling noise associated with the shifter, I made a gasket for the base out of a paper gasket material, this helped a lot. I also got longer bolts and a pair of nuts ( ) so I could tighten them on the passenger's side of the shifter stick. This seems to help keep the shifter stick from rattling too much. Don't get me wrong, my shifter does still rattle at WOT, but substantially less than when I first got it.

Also, for the centering problem, I took apart my stock hurst, and took the springs to a local hardware store. I bought some springs that fit in the middle of the stock ones and cut a few coils off since they were a little longer than the stockers. I then installed them in the Pro 5.0 (added to the ones already in there). They work sort of like a dual valve spring with the smaller spring on the inside of the larger one. This has pretty much fixed the centering problem with the shifter. All in all, I really like the Pro 5.0 and I'm glad I got it. I wasn't really upset that I had to mod it to work the way I wanted it to, but maybe that's because I'm always looking for a reason to work on my car?

Last edited by Krab; 09-24-2004 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

I've never had a problem out of my Pro 5.0 and damn do I love it!
Old 09-24-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just installed a Pro 5.0 about two weeks ago. I changed over from a Ripper, mostly to see what the difference was and to get a shorter stick. It actually seems a good bit quieter than the Ripper, which is great. However, it doesn't center very well, especially from the 1-2 side. I haven't found it to be a problem though, because I almost always jiggle the shifter before I put it in gear anyways.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

mine doesnt center too good from the 1-2 side also, but for the performance gains, i can live with it. i too am going to try the bolt-head method of tightening the springs.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:38 PM
Launching!

I have had all the different brands of shifters, including 2 Pro 5.0's. I'm tottally with monyhunter on this, I think Pro 5.0 fuc*#$ up on the springs, this thing hangs up EVERY time, another shifter I got from them looked like it was dropped (one corner of the aluminum base was smashed in, and they still had no problem shipping it out to me!!! HOW NICE OF THEM!!! Decent shifters for the most part, they're all pretty much the same thing anyway. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all your replies so far. I'm glad that people have responded with both good and bad reports. So far, it sounds like we might be getting somewhere here. This is what I have gathered from the responses...
1 - Almost everyone has shifter vibration noise. Sounds like this is simply part of adding an aftermarket shifter.
2 - Although I haven't counted exact numbers, I would say around 50% of the time the springs are weak, and this causes a centering problem on the 1-2 side.
3 - Even with these two problems, many people out there love the Pro 5.0

Anyone else want to voice their thoughts?
Old 09-25-2004, 07:30 AM
Staging Lane

I guess I got lucky...I have no noise or vibration of any kind. I dont have any trouble with the centering either. This is a great shifter....... much better than the hurst
Old 09-25-2004, 09:02 AM
10 Second Club

iv had my pro 5.0 for 5 years no proplems with centering at all. my springs are strong.
as far as the noise i have it and pretty sure they all have it. but if you want something quite put the stock shifter back in the car and let it be. i have learnd when
you plan on modding car you cant have best of both worlds.

Quick Reply: EVERYONE with Pro 5.0 please help....