Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

is DOWNSHIFTING bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 09:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default is DOWNSHIFTING bad?

Just curious, I thought a normal downshift was ok for our transmissions just nothing to radical like a 45 mph 4th-2nd gear drop. Let me know whatcha think
Old 10-15-2004, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should only step up/down one gear at a time. You should also rev-match and make sure you're getting the clutch in all of the way. As long as you're doing this, it doesn't hurt anything.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:29 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Radical? I do 50-55 MPH 5th/6th to 2nd downshifts without problems. I don't do it all the time, but it can be done without issue. My tranny still shifts very smoothly...

Now, don't try doing that without rev-matching. You'll FRY your synchros if you don't.

Steve
Old 10-15-2004, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jermstyle
You should only step up/down one gear at a time. You should also rev-match and make sure you're getting the clutch in all of the way. As long as you're doing this, it doesn't hurt anything.
dont pay attention to this, its VERY normal to skip 2, sometimes 3 gears depending on the setup. i agree with rev matching...
Old 10-15-2004, 10:44 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TanRchy
dont pay attention to this, its VERY normal to skip 2, sometimes 3 gears depending on the setup. i agree with rev matching...

Um, yea sure, If you feel the extra 1 Second it takes to NOT skip gears is SUCH a burden.....then you go ahead and skip gears. Don't worry, I'll make sure to pull over after we "attempt" to race,and you tranny is f*cked......

J/k, but seriously, why skip gears? It isn't like you're racing to see who gets to downshift to X gear first.....that's just getting ready for the fun stuff.....Why not take all precautions nessecary...that's just my opinion

I say do what you feel is comfortable
Old 10-15-2004, 12:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

If the skip shift thing on our cars (well until !cags) make us go from 1st to 4th, skipping gears downshifting as long as you rev match should be o.k.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:45 PM
12 Second Club

Newbe question, may sound stupid but what is Rev Matching? It is probably something I will be like Duh, but I had to ask!!!

Dan
Old 10-15-2004, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

Before you put the car into the gear you give it some gas and then put it in gear and let out the clutch. Makes it easier on the synchro's. Not like dumping the clutch, but instead you are trying to match the rev's that the car will spin up to once the clutch has been let out.

Last edited by SidewayzOZ; 10-15-2004 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

Rev-matching means doing watever is necessary so the engine speed matches the transmission speed of the gear in which you want to go.

If you are downshifting, you need to gas the engine between shifts. If youa re upshifting, you don't.

With proper rev-matching, you don't need the clutch at all once moving.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

Skipping gears by it's self will not ever cause any damge to the trans. It's the extreme difference in flyweel speed to input shaft speed that breaks/burns things. It's basic mechanics, nothing complicated. If you practice matching your engine revs to trans revs you will have no problems and you will save a lot of wear on the clutch and sycro's. "rowing" through the gears instead of just skipping one or two only adds to clutch wear and is absolutely no benefit. Best advice, if you are slowing down use the brakes. They are much cheaper and easier to replace than a clutch. If you are downshifting to accelerate just choose the appropriate gear that will put the engine rpm into the power band.

Quick Reply: is DOWNSHIFTING bad?