Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Street Twin Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 09:52 AM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Street Twin Problems

Has anyone else had problems with their street twin dragging? I bought a brand new one and installed it following the instructions. The instructions said that it is shipped ready to install and to check the rear disk to make sure it had .020"-.025" clearance which it did. Now the clutch is dragging. Something in there needs to be shimmed. I'm going to call Mcleod to see what exactly to do, but I thought I'd see if anybody else has been through this. this isn't what I had hoped for when paying top dollar for a clutch.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:10 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Originally Posted by 4mulaJoe
Has anyone else had problems with their street twin dragging? I bought a brand new one and installed it following the instructions. The instructions said that it is shipped ready to install and to check the rear disk to make sure it had .020"-.025" clearance which it did. Now the clutch is dragging. Something in there needs to be shimmed. I'm going to call Mcleod to see what exactly to do, but I thought I'd see if anybody else has been through this. this isn't what I had hoped for when paying top dollar for a clutch.
I guess I'm the only one. I talked to Mcleod. It may be that I tilted the trans down too much while trying to stab the trans i and bent the disk closest to the trans. I pull it apart today and it is hard to tell, but they may be it. I will probably send the disk to Mcleod to get it checked out/repaired.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

i doubt you bent the disk. it sounds almost like its throw out bearing related. or the surface of the pressure plate may be uneven.im still thinking about getting the street twin for my car. if not that then a spec stage 4. love them solid disc clutches. good luck with everything. let me know how it goes.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

The finger height (on the pressure plate) could be off- mine were at 3 different heights and I had to send mine in. Good luck.

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
i doubt you bent the disk. it sounds almost like its throw out bearing related. or the surface of the pressure plate may be uneven.im still thinking about getting the street twin for my car. if not that then a spec stage 4. love them solid disc clutches. good luck with everything. let me know how it goes.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

I have a street twin on my ford. I dont know if this applies to your case, but in my case I accidently put the washers that go under the space plate on top of the spacer plate.

The result of this, was regardless of how much I pressed the pressure plate in, the bottom disc would not disengage.

In my case, because it's a ford it has a release fork, so the clutch release mechanism was still working when the trans was out.

This made it easy because what I was able to have a buddy push the clutch in, and I stuck a spare input shaft in the clutch one disk at a time. It was obvious when I was able to spin the top clutch but not the bottom clutch that I had it shimmed wrong.

Steve
Old 11-17-2004, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't think that was the issue with 4mulaJoes install- he posted his install on-line and answered some questions on my install (vague instructions) so I'm pretty certain her put the shims under the floater plate, above each of the three thick shim pedestals.

Ben

Originally Posted by Slart
I have a street twin on my ford. I dont know if this applies to your case, but in my case I accidently put the washers that go under the space plate on top of the spacer plate.

The result of this, was regardless of how much I pressed the pressure plate in, the bottom disc would not disengage.

In my case, because it's a ford it has a release fork, so the clutch release mechanism was still working when the trans was out.

This made it easy because what I was able to have a buddy push the clutch in, and I stuck a spare input shaft in the clutch one disk at a time. It was obvious when I was able to spin the top clutch but not the bottom clutch that I had it shimmed wrong.

Steve
Old 11-17-2004, 05:46 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Yea, I know it's shimmed correctly according to Mcleod's instructions. 've spent alot of time on the phone with them. I'm sending the whole assembly in to them now to see what happens.