Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Prothane tranny mount

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Prothane tranny mount

I had a similar thread on tranny mounts, but thought I'd start a separate one catered to the Prothane. I just put the Prothane on yesterday, and wow! I knew to expect extra vibration and noise, but not this much. I can feel it through the seats some, and the exhaust note is kinda different now too. I've read about these and them taking a couple weeks to "break in", but how much better do these mounts get in terms of noise and vibration? If they get to be at least comparable to a rubber mount and don't sound like a bad axle hum, I'll keep it. But if doesn't get much better, hopefully I can find a 1LE mount or just get raped $70 for the dealer part. For all you with Prothane mounts and stock or a quiet exhaust, how much does the vibration go away? thanks

jason
Old 12-09-2004, 05:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weird... I don't have a ton of extra vibration from my Prothane mount. In fact, I'm running prothane transmission mount and motor mounts and it certainly isn't vibrating my teeth out. :dunno:
Old 12-09-2004, 06:32 PM
11 Second Truck Club

It's funny, I haven't noticed mine vibrating since I installed TSP duals with dumps.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:27 PM

When I installed mine it wfelt like an earthquake inside the car I HATED it (I also have poly motor mounts), but after a few weeks, It feels like the rubber one. Hardly any vibration at all. Some say to shave the bumps off or not to use the metal plate, but I put it just as its supposed to be. It will get better
Old 12-13-2004, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Country Boy
When I installed mine it wfelt like an earthquake inside the car I HATED it (I also have poly motor mounts), but after a few weeks, It feels like the rubber one. Hardly any vibration at all. Some say to shave the bumps off or not to use the metal plate, but I put it just as its supposed to be. It will get better
Or do you just get used to it??? I have the Prothane motor/tranny/TA mounts as well, but I also did a lot of other stuff at the same time so I have no idea what caused what (Tubular K, L/T's, offroad Y, tranny rebuild, PRO 5.0, Mcleod twin disk, all Prothane mounts, spherical/poly LCA and panhard bar, and most likely some stuff I am forgetting). All I know is my car vibrates, rides rough, is loud, and breaks rear ends now... but I would not change a thing- except the broken rear end part-.

Last edited by BOWTIE; 12-13-2004 at 12:05 AM. Reason: mis type
Old 12-13-2004, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

It's been almost a week, and the car doesn't vibrate as much, but it's definitely still there and more than my liking. I have stock exhaust and engine mounts, so I can tell easier than those with loud exhausts. Hopefully the car smooths out more so it doesn't sound like an old dump truck inside anymore, otherwise I'm going back to a GM mount or 1LE.

Jason
Old 12-17-2004, 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds like you bought the wrong GM product. See Cadillac dealer and quit bitching. jk
Old 12-18-2004, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

lol No I liked the car way it was with a regular rubber mount. I'm also one of those people who don't think true duals dumped on a big cammed car is too loud either. I just don't like how the car vibrates so much especially at WOT I'm just gonna go back to a GM mount next week and save the Prothane for a rainy day.

Jason
Old 12-19-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

I didn't like the extra vibraton either and put the stocker back in. I think some cars have more tranny/engine vibrations than others so it's hard to get a comparison on the internet. If you don't like it, take it out. Make sure you have the right mount too, some make the tranny sit to high and vibrate on the bottom of the floor pan.