Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

3rd and 4th gear acting weird

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3rd and 4th gear acting weird

So there I am driving around in 4th gear yesterday right. I go to downshift into 3rd gear and 4th gear won't disengage. Like, I had to punch the shifter out of gear. I dunno why. It did it once again about a half an hour later. Now, when i shift out of 4th it feels like it wants to grab it a little. Like its a little hussy saying, "no, stay." But yeah, thats 4th gear, now onto 3rd gear.

3rd gear likes to sneak its way out of gear from time to time when im not on the gas. Just kinda eases its way out. This is new to me as of yesterday, might I add. So, I do a bit of experimenting. I give the TA some throttle in 3rd gear and attempt to slide it out of gear without the clutch, no dice. So thats good. Now, i try the same but with no gas, slides right out with no problem. No grinding, no nothing.

So, I personally think its slider keys, but I have limited knowledge about the tranny. I know this and that, but im no T56 Doc. I need a diagnosis. So, who knows whats up? Thanks.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:36 PM
NKAWTG...N

i have this problem every once in a while too, no idea. people have said clutch though.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

I don't really see how it could be my clutch. I just put in a new LS6 clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, pilot bearing, and updated hydraulics. All of that has about 1400 miles worth on em.

Also, if it was the clutch, seems like I'd have the same symptoms with all the gears, not just 3rd and fourth. And they have different problems than each other to boot.

It's possible that I may have a bad blocker ring on 3rd too, I'm thinkin'. I would drop some change on rebuilding my tranny, but it's kind of stupid right now since I'm heading to Iraq in February. But when I get back, oh, it's on. Anymore insight anyone?
Old 12-24-2004, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are correct,if it were a clutch issue it would cause probs in all gears. The probs you discuss are classic worn 3rd/4th shift fork issues. The worn fork allows the keys(struts) to over-extend and stick in gear. A work blocker ring will aggrevate the whole situation. If you get to it before the clashing & breaking of struts happen, the fix will not be too much $.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by calhoon
You are correct,if it were a clutch issue it would cause probs in all gears. The probs you discuss are classic worn 3rd/4th shift fork issues. The worn fork allows the keys(struts) to over-extend and stick in gear. A work blocker ring will aggrevate the whole situation. If you get to it before the clashing & breaking of struts happen, the fix will not be too much $.
could this also be the problem for my tranny, which periodically grinds into third gear? I have another thread open and got some answers but didnt really understand it.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

I kinda figured the fork had something to do with it. I think I'll go ahead and replace the ol' fork and buy a T56 that's built like a brick **** house when I get back from the sandbox.

mestupkcid09--What's the problem? Does it grind every now and again when you upshift into 3rd? That sounds like the restriction in the hydraulic line from the master cyl to the slave cyl. You can always perform the drill mod on that and cure your woes. But if you have done that already, I would probably attribute the grinding to the 3-4 shift fork, as is my case.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:43 PM
Teching In

mestupkcid09--What's the problem? Does it grind every now and again when you upshift into 3rd? That sounds like the restriction in the hydraulic line from the master cyl to the slave cyl. You can always perform the drill mod on that and cure your woes. But if you have done that already, I would probably attribute the grinding to the 3-4 shift fork, as is my case.[/QUOTE]

It grinds every once in awhile, but I have gotten really good at being able to tell when it is going to and I pull the shifter back to prevent it fron grinding. But I just installed a new pro-5.0 shifter and am afraid to shift into third now because the shifter is so much shorter than what I am used to. I haven't done the drill mod yet, and thought that that could be the problem, but in a differant thread I was told that it wasn't. I would love it if it was the only problem, but I'm not sure. what do you think?
Old 12-24-2004, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

I would go ahead and try the drill mod first. It's worth a shot, right? Be careful if you do though. Whatever the hell kind of metal you drill through is tough as can be. I went through 3 drill bits, and the drill tried to walk on me a lot. I dunno if anyone else had that problem, but I did. If that doesn't do it, I'd say its your fork man. Sucks, but it happens to damn near everyone at some point or another seems like.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:02 AM
Teching In

Thanks a bunch, definitaly gonna try the drill mod. It's weird because it only does it sometimes, not very often. If not, guess i'm gonna have to have someone open it up, cause i'm not about to try and fix the trans myself heh.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, mine only does it every now and then too. Good luck with your trans man.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time for some more rebuilds.
pretty much the only thing that will get yall going again.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:13 PM
Teching In

So it probably really does need to be opened up and fixed right?
Old 12-26-2004, 07:42 AM
TECH Regular

Yea
from what I read it sounds like the 3-4 synchro assembly keys all or one broke and is jammed in there.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

can someone tell me what the "drill Mod" is? Where do you drill?
Old 01-29-2005, 07:54 AM
TECH Regular

On the clutch master cylinder there is a hose
You need to remove master
Push the pin out that holds the hose in place
then drill out that end of the hose with about an 1/8 drill bit.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bugsquawsher
On the clutch master cylinder there is a hose
You need to remove master
Push the pin out that holds the hose in place
then drill out that end of the hose with about an 1/8 drill bit.
Thanks!
Old 01-31-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

mestupkcid09--What's the problem? Does it grind every now and again when you upshift into 3rd? That sounds like the restriction in the hydraulic line from the master cyl to the slave cyl. You can always perform the drill mod on that and cure your woes. But if you have done that already, I would probably attribute the grinding to the 3-4 shift fork, as is my case.
So your saying that the drill mod will fix my 3rd gear problem. At certain speeds I have to force my shifter into 3rd gear. Under normal driving conditions its fine, but when I down shift I have to force it in. Also when I do a 2nd gear drop at try to go to 3rd, it dosent always like to go in easy. When I finally do get it in I sometimes might have problems getting it into 4th. Its only the 3/4 gears that im having trouble with, so im not sure if the drill mod will work.