Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What else is new... Clutch problems!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unhappy What else is new... Clutch problems!

Okay, I know there are a few other posts that have this same kinda thing happening, but none are exactly the same thing as mine is doing.

Have a SPEC 3 with about 3-3.5K on it, and had factory flywheel balanced with clutch b4 install, with upgraded hyd. and drill mod. Got the gasket type spacer with clutch (at time did not know about a metal spacer for later clutch kits) and so installed it.

Bled syst to a point where I thought it was done well, and took easy on setup for break-in of about 600 miles. Made a few hard launches on street with street tires b4 taking to strip. Felt good on street but at strip, ran slower times and had a bad clunk or pop sound from either tranny or rear when I would launch or shift. I mean whole car would jerk, and almost felt like the rear was hopping.

Now, 3.5K later, the car sometimes is really hard to get into gear while driving, and if at a low speed, when I engage clutch to change gears or to stop, I get a bad clunk for the tranny or clutch, almost like a universal joint with slack, but its definately coming from the tranny/clutch. And I still have that bad pop or thump if I launch or shift real hard, and I can definately tell a difference with the power output compared to when I first put the clutch in. At that time, even during the break in period I could tell it was putting more to the ground. BTW, the tranny mount is brand new factory piece.

Please help. Do I need to try bleeding again? The more I think about it, I almost believe I may have not bled it enough, and if that is the case, could it be that the slave is not engaging enough which would explain the hard shifting. But the real puzzle is the clunking at low RPM's when the clutch is pressed. Oh yeah, and the clutch still has really bad chatter on take off, and if I rev it up and try to release to stop the chatter, it just feels like its slipping and jerks almost as much. Could not having it bled good do this as well?
Old 01-02-2005, 01:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes try rebleeding....it sounds as if your clutch is not fully disengaging when you push the pedal in.....where does it release?
Old 01-02-2005, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

pretty close to the top. I would say about 2-3 in from top. Could it also be that I did not get the metal spacer, and used the gasket type one?
Old 01-02-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone else got ideas? I am open to as many suggestions as I can get!
Old 01-03-2005, 07:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try rebleed first and then go from there...
Old 01-03-2005, 09:46 AM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New adjustable master cylinder?
Old 01-06-2005, 03:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Rebled the clutch today, and WOW! This thing is 10 times better than before. Before, I could barely get wheel in second gear, and now this thing it popin the rev limiter in second and still smokin well into third. That what I'm talking about! Thanks for advice guys.