Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

problem going from 2nd to 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem going from 2nd to 3rd

i've only had my car(02 SS) for 3 months, and i drive decent, i knew how to drive a stick before i bought the car, but this is my first standard car, i went to the track and ran it, but the first time i ran i had problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd. its happend to me on the road as well. so i was reading these threads and i read one saying a bad transmission mount could prevent you from shifting smoothly. but thats the thing one! when i first got the car i noticed my shifter jumped a lot on bumps, so i got the mount replaced with a prothane mount. and i gotta tell yall, the shifter still jumps a bit on a bumpy road. could it be any thing else other than the mount? i mean it COULD be my driving....and would yall suggest changing from the stock shifter to something else? im not too hot about the way the car shifts....
Old 02-01-2005, 03:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What postions do use for each gear? That will make or brake your shifts.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

missionary. jk! i dont know what you mean by positions....
Old 02-01-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

Are you missing third all togther or it physically wont go in?
Old 02-02-2005, 11:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the 1-2 shift hold the shifter normal and pull staight back. For the 2-3 shift don't hold the shifter, just push straight forward. For the 3-4 put your hand on the oposite side of the shifter(thumb pointing towards pass door) and pull straight back. These techniques with some practice should really cut down on your misshifts. Hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2-3 synchro could be bad if it's hard to shift into at higher RPM's (or if it grinds randomly)... or the shift fork could be bent... not too sure about what your exact problem is but this might spark some more insight.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Depending on your shifter and/or clutch I would have to agree with ArcticZ28. If you have a short throw shifter then the shifts are going to be real close together and it takes a little while to get used to. However if you have a stock shifter and it will not go into gear then more then likley it will either be a the shift fork, synchro, or blocker rings. You may want to do a search for chevy M6 announcements. A buddy of mine that works as a mechanic for a GM dealership told me about the bulliten for the m6 shift fork, shortly after i had ordered a new shift fork, synchros, and blocker rings and rebuilt my tranny.