Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

problems@track with new clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 02:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems@track with new clutch

I had problems with a slipping clutch in my 98 z28.....turns out the rear main was leaking onto the clutch causing it to slip...

both clutch and rear main were replaced....spec stage 2 clutch installed.

im over a thousand miles into breaking in this clutch so i figured Id give it a shot at the track......keep in mind I have yet to put a really heavy "load" on the car.

Ok well the clutch pedal ended up sticking to the floorboard mid 1/4 mile,I pulled it up by hand and tried to recover and the clutch just started to majorly slip.so I parked the car and spectated for the rest of the night.
with a very heavy load on it,it still slips from time to time.....
does this have anything to do with the weak master or slave cylinder(is it both of them or just one?) that the 98's have? would that cause the clutch to slip and also make the shifts fell a tad rough from time to time?

If so, Im on a limited budget but would like to fix the problem the best as possible....what would fix my problem?and cost?where to find and all that good stuff.

if i need to be more specific on anything for you guys to help me out just let me know, id greatly appreciate any help.....I hate having a potential 11 second car that has a weak link like that
Old 02-06-2005, 07:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you left the stock hydraulics on, that is most likely your problem. You need to upgrade those when putting in an aftermarket clutch. Get the Mcleod adjustable master and an '01 slave. I guess it could also be an improperly bled master, so try bleeding it again first, before going the 1st route. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

would the stock hydraulics cause the clutch to slip?and would a slave from a vette be better than a 01' camaro?and is it 01' and up or just 01'?
Old 02-06-2005, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

also what would i be looking to spend on both of those?
Old 02-06-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Anything from '01 up has the updated hydraulics... also, if you get a new master & slave, make sure you do the drill mod. You'll find a write up on the drill mod at www.installuniversity.com.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

still trying to find out if they would cause the new clutch to slip.....I know they would cause shifting/clutch pedal problems.....but would they also cause the clutch to slip?trying to make sure there arent any other problems i need to keep an out out for when im down there.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:06 AM
11 Second Club

anybody?
Old 02-07-2005, 12:12 AM
TECH Veteran

just a question out of curiosity but why did you only do a spec 2 clutch puting almost 400 at the wheels an plannin on a shot on top that i dont think thats going to last unless you on crap tires.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:58 AM
11 Second Club

spec 2 was good for like 500hp/550tq......and i got a good deal on it....and its only going to see a trip to the track every once in a while.

anybody know the answer to my previous question yet?
Old 02-07-2005, 09:34 AM
TECH Junkie

did you break it in properly? maybe you're overpowering the clutch. your sig says youre making 390 rwhp, im not sure but that should be about 450's(?) at the flywheel. add a 125 shot you have listed and you are definitely over the stg 2's capability. did you try calling spec to see what they say?
Old 02-07-2005, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

well im not over the spec 2's capability yet....im about 100 hp off.

and im still sitting here trying to figure out if a 98's hydraulics would cause the clutch to slip under a heavy heavy racing load.

the clutch pedal stuck to the ground....i pulled it up and went to accelerate and i could tell the clutch was slipping very bad.
under normal driving the car is fine......but punch it through every gear hard and by the time you see fourth it was slipping.....could this be an effect of having an upgraded clutch with the weak 98 master and slave?
the reason i keep asking and asking is if im going to go in there and replace that stuff (i know i need to regardless) i want to make sure that it would make this problem happen in the first place.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by darbydarby
well im not over the spec 2's capability yet....im about 100 hp off.

and im still sitting here trying to figure out if a 98's hydraulics would cause the clutch to slip under a heavy heavy racing load.

the clutch pedal stuck to the ground....i pulled it up and went to accelerate and i could tell the clutch was slipping very bad.
under normal driving the car is fine......but punch it through every gear hard and by the time you see fourth it was slipping.....could this be an effect of having an upgraded clutch with the weak 98 master and slave?
the reason i keep asking and asking is if im going to go in there and replace that stuff (i know i need to regardless) i want to make sure that it would make this problem happen in the first place.

FYI my friend roasted a spec 3 in 5k miles with 400rwhp and drag radials so I wouldnt put too much stake in that spec2 HP rating.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

urgh....yet again thanks for the info on the spec...but its not what im trying to find out info on
Old 02-07-2005, 07:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Update the slave and master. Th old stuff does not move enough fluid fast enough. The drill mod will help with that too.

Yes, the old master and slave can cause the clutch to slip. It will not fully disengage or engage without enough fluid movement.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:00 PM
11 Second Club

thanks very much for the info