Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tips with launching

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips with launching

I'm new here and new to a m6. Just bought a 02 35th Anni. First manual I've owned and have a few questions. First, any advice on launching the car like what rpms? Do I dump the clutch or just ease off it quickly? Also, what is the best way, and easiest on the clutch, to do a burnout to heat the tires up. The car has 55,000 miles with stock clutch, shifter, street tires, and 3.42 gears. Sorry for long post and many questions. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!
Old 02-24-2005, 09:52 PM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well stock tires just spin them real quick to clean them off & make a run. I'd say try dumping @ 2K see if it'll hold. If it bogs increase the launch RPM, if it spins lower it. The key here is to get a feel for the car. I would highly suggest some drag radials though. Those you can heat up & they'll stick better. Heat 'em up like this, if you dont have a line lock; Dump the clutch at 3500 or so, the car will spin & move foward. This is the tricky part, while you push the gas pedal to the floor, at the same time take your left foot & stab the brake pedal hard & let up. This will cause the weight to go to the front of the vehicle. A real smoke show will ensue. Practice this somewhere first, not at the track. You can get good at it & do it with the car moving only 5 or so feet. It is just un-natual to brake left footed IMO!
But a line lock is so much easier. Have fun!
Old 02-24-2005, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

I don't spin my tires beforeI take off but that's just me. For me I can launch it at around 2300-2500 and keep traction, otherwise it'll bog. it depends on the car I think, just go to the track one night and make a lot of passes (I made around 35 passes while hot-lapping it) and you'll figure out what works best for you.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm still trying to drop below the 2.0 mark - but the best launch is around 3K, let the clutch 1/2 way out until the car starts to get rolling then dump it the rest of the way out. This way works well for MANY aftermarket clutch & Drag radial owners. This keeps you from both spinning and bogging. I'd stay away from the drag radials until you figure out your launch. The weakest part of you car is the wimpy S-10 rear end... Drag radials tend to make them snap for some people, others can run their cars into the 11's on a stock rear... luck of the draw.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:36 AM
11 Second Club

On street tires I bypass the water box and stomp it on first just to get the dust,rocks,ect off the tires. With Drag radials I spin a little in the box, roll up and then do a burnut. I have big feet so I can work the clutch and brake at the same time with my left foot, It does take some practice though. I still havent figured out the best way to launch yet though
Old 02-25-2005, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the help. I need some new tires so I'll practice the burnout. I'll also get some drag radials when I learn both the burnout and launching. Again, Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply: Tips with launching