Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Missing bolts in T-56?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing bolts in T-56?

I was replacing my transmission fluid in my salvaged LS1 T-56 combo (out of 19k mile trans am, installed in RX7) and noticed there seemed to be some bolts missing. Can anyone confirm this and tell me what type of bolts go in there?

transmission pictures/

In addition, I noticed that the underside of the transmission has a webbing of lines all over, as if from stress or fatigue, can anyone confirm this from the pictures?

Also, 6th gear shudders when I let off the gas until the wheels start slowing down the engine it seems. The throwout bearing also seems to 'whirr' much more than normal, I guess it needs to be replaced.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:34 AM
12 Second Club

I think those bolts need to be there. I think they are connecting the tranny to the bell housing, and one to the engine?

I have those "stress cracks" on mine too, I think its just how the metal looks after it was made, not really cracks. It should be ok unless there are actual cracks in the metal.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will need those adapter to clutch housing bolts M10X1.5 torqued 29-33 ft-lbs.
Those marks are called heat checks and are from wear to the die. If you check, these are all positives= they are ridges not cracks and actually the oposite of cracks. They are only a visual problem ( and rough on the hands when working with the trans). These go away when the die is dressed.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:29 PM
Teching In

I'm pretty sure they were negatives, and don't stick out but I can check. Either way, it looks like everyone has them so I'm not going to worry anymore.

So all three holes circled in that picture require M10 1.5s? Any specific length?

Thanks for all your help!