Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

BAD transmission noises

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my tranny gonna blow?

Hey i have a z06 clutch, with new flywheel, new slave cylinder, and drill mod that were all installed in December. I just drove cross country and the car performed like a dream. Now I am in california and all the sudden my transmission is whining like a spoiled little girl. First second third are terrible, fourth is ok, and fifth is kinda bad too. Sometimes when i shift it grinds a little bit, or when i let out the clutch it might grind for a split second, except very lightly. I just noticed today that when i let the clutch out in neutral, there seems to still be a slight low pitched whine that DEFINATELY wasnt there before, and increase in pitch and volume if i rev, even in neutral. Nowhere near as bad as 1, 2, 3 though. When I accelerate it sounds like I have a blower, which wouldn't be so bad, if i knew that sound wasn't good. I just had my tranny fluid changed today to see if that would fix it, and it didn't. The fluid in there before was the fluid that I had put in with my clutch install back in December. I'm getting pretty nervous that my transmission might be about to fall apart, so please help me out.

Last edited by burnout04; 05-25-2005 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you check the pilot bearing when you did your work? How about the throw out bearing- you should have changed this ,too. Sounds like one of these are not right. Letting out the clutch and getting a grind( assuming you have already completed the shift) seems like one of these two bearings( odr both) are bad.A bad pilot can destroy your trans.Check this out soon.