Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

m6 ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default m6 ?'s

Im new to this forum and im just trying to get to know these cars before i buy one. Well ive been reading about the M6 transmission and i was wondering what kind of preventative things i could do to keep from having tranmission problems are their certain things i should beef up in it before i start HP mods. Like i said im new to this so dont be to harsh just trying to gether some info thanks.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:07 PM
12 Second Club

Honestly dude... to me its just luck of the draw. There's really nothing you can do encept rebuild it with like stell shift forks and stuff but you might as well just pound it til you get a problem then jgo in and take care or those things.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:40 AM
Staging Lane

Get an A4 and avoid this thread or these issues at all cost!!! I love my M6, but if I knew about the problems I am dealing with now, I would have got a A4, a stall, and called it a night. Instead ,I am fixing problems instead of upgrading performance. So far my burnt clutch has cost me almost $1200 to fix and the problem is still not fixed!!!
Old 07-10-2005, 05:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The m6 is really a pretty good transmission. You will note from these forums that lots of people are running good HP with few or no problems. There was/is a problem with the 98 - 00 models and shift forks that are addressed in a TSB from GM, I had mine repaired a few years back and it's fine now. They run the M6 in the vettes too.

Clutch selection is a bit tricky as there have been some bad experiences but that's not an M6 issue - it's the aftermarket clutches and the installs. That situation is improving with some new and better clutches available.

It runs on Dexron fluid and for maintenance, there isn't a great deal to do. If you want to be safe, have the trans built buy someone like Rockland transmissions when you pull the trans to do a clutch. Other than that, drive and enjoy running it through the gears like I do every chance I get!!!
Old 07-10-2005, 05:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the tranny has no maintenance really, just the rare fluid change. the cluch is the main wear item unless you just flat out break something in the tranny, mine held up for 2 years of hard abuse and went through 3 clutches racing it. a clutch swap cost less than 500 bucks if you know what your doing and have upgraded everything like the 01-02 slave and an adjustable master cylinder makes life nice also, my last clutch swap cost me 400bucks
Old 07-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Teching In

so if i got a later model camaro like an 02 i wouldnt have problemns with the shift forks?
Old 07-12-2005, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only if it has had the fork changed. I don't think and production Fcar units got the iron 3/4 fork new.