Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

manual or automatic

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual or automatic

me and my friend kenny have been arguing about which is quicker, a auto or manual tranny powered car.i know alot of NHRA guys like auto's. when i did have my auto bird i thought it was fast as hell,and it was. then when i got my stick i thought it was a little slower.(or at least it felt that way) untill i masterd the shift the car liked. i still think the stick is quicker!

any help would be great before i beat his ***!
Old 07-31-2005, 11:47 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

auto for the track is best...most consistent runs as nuthin shifts faster than a computer....manual has an advantage I believe in street racing...ive owned both. I had a LT1 auto and i now own a an M6 LS1. It really doesnt come down to which is faster, its drivers preference.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:53 AM
TECH Regular

From what i understand the manuals are faster on the street for sure. Manuals also have more power than autos(less drive train loss). On the street a bone stock WS6 manual vs a bone stock auto, the manual should when from a roll. If the driver knows how to drive. I think from a stop and at the drag strip, they are pretty much the same on stock cars or close to stock cars. I dont think the auto have any advantage until your making more power. Because the manuals are still putting down more hp and torque than the autos. I could be wrong though, mostly just what i have heard.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:03 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it all depends on the application.

drag racing: stalled 4l60e > t56
autocross/road racing: t56 > 4l60e
street: depends on preference
Old 08-01-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the rules allow clutchless transmissions thats the way to go how many pro stock cars run powerglides? Parasitic loss as well as countless ratios offer an advantage...If you have to run a shyncro'd transmission then I'd go with a slush box...
Old 08-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Teching In

I have driven 2 auto mustangs and now I drive a stick (don't know of a auto cobra) and I would have to say that a stick is much better when u master it.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:57 PM
Launching!

thanx all. i made him read this in front of me so he would believe me. keep the replies comin so i can prove him more wrong

Quick Reply: manual or automatic