Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 Rebuild gone wrong

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 02:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-56 Rebuild gone wrong

Ok so i ripped the trans out of my car and did a synchro rebuild along with 2nd gear and a steel 3/4 shift fork. I put everything back together and i was gonna run it through the gears and well I cant get in into 1/2 and it wont move over to go into reverse. I thought the 1/2 was kinda weird because that whole synchro assembly was replaced. when i was putting everything back together I moved all the synchros to make sure they engaged too. Could i have messed the linkage up somehow? Oh nothing in the trans binds either everything spins freely when i turn it by hand. Thanx for any help you can give me.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With the shifter in neutral, spin the input = do you have out put? I suspect you got the interlock pin/ bolt out of position ( there are 2 of these on the top of the trans) and the interlock is not guding your linkage properly.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

Yes when i spin the input shaft there is output. I know the drivers side guide pin is in the correct place, but when i put the passanger side one in, it went it really easy and didnt touch anything i thought that seemed a lil odd. Can i just take off the front of the case to get everything lined up?
Old 08-10-2005, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Well wasn't the guide pins. When i took the adaptor plate off and tried the 1/2 the synchro wasn't sliding, maybe a ring poped off when i was putting everything together. Im gonna strip it down again tonight ill tell you guys what i find.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:12 AM
Staging Lane

Ok well heres the problem with 1/2, the synchro slides back and forth with nothing on it but when the blocker rings are installed it will not move. Any thoughts on why? I'm kinda pissed since i got that assembly from g-force. I tried my old synchro with the new blockers and everything and it works great, looks like g-force with be getting a call tomorrow.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

well g-force isnt helpful in the least giving me retarded info like billet keys are factory. So im sending the synchro and keys back its not worth my time ill probably never break the keys anyways.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

Well i figured id post one last time. The slider keys that came from g-force had a lip on each end like the 3/4 5/6 keys. That can't be there because it does not let the keys come back out of the recessed part in the synchro, those lips are already agaisnt the blocker ring when nothing is engaged. So in the end the synchro does not slide. Hope this helps someone in the future I also called g-force back and told them why it doesn't work, this guy was more helpful.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will prolly not need a billit/ solid style strut for the 1/2. For the spendy prices G-force charges for anything , one would think they would do their development themselves and not expect the customer to work out the details/ repairs after the sale. Its good to see you got through it. Buyer beware!!!!!