Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Missing a shift?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Missing a shift?

Hey guys I know i am idiot first of all, but I just bought a new car cuz my SS got totalled by some idiot who ran a red light

anyways, the first two times I really really let her rip I missed second

This shifter, clutch is so much diff. than my SS, the clutch is ~25k miles old, as well as the master cylinder etc... It has a Lou's Short Stick.... Anyways how bad is this for my car??

P.S. Haven't missed one since and don't plan on it
Old 08-10-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

well... ok... you were lettin 'er rip and you missed second and went into... 4th? If that was the case I don't think you did any damage to your car... unless you hit between and grinded a gear...
Old 08-10-2005, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GTObsessor
well... ok... you were lettin 'er rip and you missed second and went into... 4th? If that was the case I don't think you did any damage to your car... unless you hit between and grinded a gear...
I am with you that cant do damage but you mean 3rd to 2nd...... not really sure what that would do but cant be good
Old 08-10-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

no no no, going from 1st > 2nd i just missed completely tryin to be billy badass and just ended up in neutral
Old 08-10-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

What I think your concerned about is that you don't want to miss another gear. Like when your at the track racing you don't want to miss a gear. I have the hurst shifter. I always give it a little more force or a push when I know that I need to get into that gear. All I can say is practice makes perfect. And don't try to shift really really fast cause thats when most shifts are missed. Hope this helps.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea I definitely dont want to miss one at the track lol talk about embarassing.... but I also want to make sure that I didnt potentially damage anything.. thanks - Darren
Old 08-12-2005, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you mean you missed the clutch timing and clashed instead of going into 2nd, yes, you are damaging the clutching teeth on the gear& synchro sleeve. If you do this with enough force , there is a synchro blcker ring wear issue as well.

Quick Reply: Missing a shift?