Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Advice please

My hydraulics started to go. Tried to bleed and the fluid started leaking out between tranny and engine and the clutch pedal stayed on the floor. Drove to dealer without a clutch (started in second and lurched ahead). After replacing slave cylinder and other hydraulic stuff ($1300) my car doesn't shift as well as before. Mechanic claimed that clutch had plenty of life left on it - about 60% left. Afterwards starting off at a normal pace (not racing) the car shakes/shudders a little with it being felt in both front end and stick. I can actually watch shifter shake as I let out clutch in first. Also when shifting hard the clutch pedal gets pretty mushy and hard to depress much like before the hydraulics took a dump. Is this caused by fuid on clutch where it leaked, driving to dealer (10 min.) without clutch, or by poor intall - maybe something was broken or not replaced properly? Incidentally when I picked up car the two stick shift bolts were so loose that I could hand tighten them before applying the wrench so the clown completely forgot to tighten them. +
Old 08-14-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got screwed royally. Never take a car to the dealer for repair work, they will rape you. You already gave them the money, I would take it back and demand they fix it right. For $1300 you could have bought all new hydraulics and the most expensive clutch setup Australia has to offer. Now all you have is a worn clutch and a new slave. What other parts did they claim to replace besides the slave? What year car and what mods do you have? I've never liked the way the bleeder is positioned on the tranny, what a freaking mess. Using a Mitey Vac is much cleaner, but it sounds like you have bigger issues than just air in the lines.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the lay down. My car is an '02 SS with the 345 hp pack. Incidentally the price was in Canada but yeah, quite a rip. I haven't done any clutch work before so I was apprehensive and just wanted it done right. Was I wrong. Any feelings about what the problem is-anybody?
Old 08-14-2005, 01:34 PM
9 Second Club

There could be alot of stuff wrong with it. They might not have bleed the system properly. That could make the hydrualics spongy. Then for the shaking , your mount might need to be replaced. Also another problem is that the dealer mechanics (not all) dont care or really know what they are doing. They have a tendency to just replace parts without figuring out what the problem really is then slamming everything together with high powered impact air guns.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks very much guys. Your knowledge is helpful. I'll go to plan B (whatever that will be)

Quick Reply: Advice please