Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch pedal spring?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clutch pedal spring?

Does the clutch pedal have a return spring? I had a spring fall out from under the dash and thats the only thing i could guess.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:05 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes it does. replaced mine twice before I learned my lesson and left it off of there.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by -Q-
yes it does. replaced mine twice before I learned my lesson and left it off of there.
ahh, so its a shitty design. I figured as much. Any chance you know the proper name of it or a part#? How do you replace it?
Old 08-22-2005, 05:08 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not know a part number, but if you ask for a clutch return spring, they'll know what you are talking about. It's a massive PITA to replace....a very small area to work in. I don't have an exact explanation of how to install it, maybe if you search you can get some better instructions. Not trying to talk you out of doing it, but you really don't need it on there. Mine works just as well as before with no squeeks like I had when the spring was in there.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by -Q-
I do not know a part number, but if you ask for a clutch return spring, they'll know what you are talking about. It's a massive PITA to replace....a very small area to work in. I don't have an exact explanation of how to install it, maybe if you search you can get some better instructions. Not trying to talk you out of doing it, but you really don't need it on there. Mine works just as well as before with no squeeks like I had when the spring was in there.
ok thanks. Mine works fine but i'd live with squeak if it helps with pedal tension.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's not needed. It's more of a dual purpose spring, it has a break over point so when you push it past a certain point it will actually put tension in in the other direction. There is a return spring inside the master cyl. LT1 cars do not have the spring and neither does my car and everything works fine. More or less it is to make holding the pedal down at a red light easier.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

Been without mine for a year, no issues.

Quick Reply: clutch pedal spring?