Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Whining In First Gear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining In First Gear?

So I was driving my Z28 with my dad in it today.....and he was remarking on some noises coming from my tranny....most of all the way that it whines...almost a "winding up" kind of whine...in first gear. I guess I really never noticed...probably because I usually drive with the radio on. Well...besides the whining, he was commenting on all the other misc. noises coming from my tranny. No grinding or anything like that.....more so just intermittent "rubbing" noises when shifting gear, buzzing of the center console...stuff like that. He said that back when he had his '73 Z28 his Muncie never made noises like that, something he attributes to the 80/90 gear lube guys used to run in that transmission.

So before I get all worried....are the noises normal for the T-56? Is some of it due to the lightweight fluid that is run in them? BTW...running a LUK clutch with about 70K on it. Thanks!!
Old 10-27-2005, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

what your hearing are the syncros and such

the sound in first gear is when your down shifin into first when comin to a stop sign of something right?

if so then that is normal
Old 10-27-2005, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get a solid stick, that isnt insulated with rubber..... then you will hear the tranny make some noises.

Its pretty normal to hear gear whine type of noises that are slight, but when they are loud and howling... start to worry
Old 10-28-2005, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It makes it when accelerating from a stop and such. Slight whining noise.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:38 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is most likely coming from your shifter area, is that the aftermarket hurst shifter like the billit plus? If it does it from a stop it is probably because you had someone in your car that was not used to hearing it and they pointed it out and now you are sub-consciously thinking that there is a problem! My wife does that to me on a daily basis.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:41 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LUK = stock...atleast that is what my stock clutch was when i yanked it out of there and threw it down the driveway.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah...I know that LUK = Stock....its not the clutch that came in my car, but its the only clutch that the transmission shop that fixed my syncros for me when I first bought the car 4 years ago would put in for free. The guy told me that he would not put in a "racing" clutch for me because he didn't want to be responsible when it shot through my interior and sheered my legs off. Oooookay. The LUK really hasn't been to bad though.

Thanks for the response. You've put my mind at ease

Quick Reply: Whining In First Gear?