Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Transmission jerking

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission jerking

Is this normal? If you are in gear and accelerating, then let go of the gas pedal and steps on it again, the car jerks a bit.

Also my friend was going 70 in sixth gear and changes to 5 th and letting go of the clutch too fast causing the car to jump twice, what problems can that cause?

How do you fix the jerking problem?
Old 11-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Firebird95
Is this normal? If you are in gear and accelerating, then let go of the gas pedal and steps on it again, the car jerks a bit.

Also my friend was going 70 in sixth gear and changes to 5 th and letting go of the clutch too fast causing the car to jump twice, what problems can that cause?

How do you fix the jerking problem?
I think we call that torque!

You'll prob have to be more specific about the jerking and jumping. Do you think it is misfiring or is this more like a banging? I was thinking tranny mount but you lost me with the double jump making me wonder if it was misfiring.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:21 AM
Teching In

My Trans Am is still new with 10,000 miles on it.

Let me describe what happened more clearly:

My friend was going 70 on freeway in 6th gear and then changes to 5th to accelerate up to 90 mph to pass a car. When he did that, he let go of the clutch real fast and a loud bang was heard, and the car just jerked twice for a sec, then we started to accelerate up to 90. Can that loosen the transmission or damage it? When it jerked twice, it felt like transmission was slipping. I don’t think he pressed the gas pedal right away when shifting. So it was like jumping from 1000 rpm to 3000 rpm instantly.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Almost sounds like there wasnt any kind of rev matching, or he wasnt so smooth with the clutch work. Either tell him to rev match, or to engage the clutch slower. Rev matching is better for the clutch.

Sounds like a problem that can be fixed with some practice.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:52 AM
Teching In

Yes I don't think he was rev matching. Now every time I shift gears, no matter how smooth I try to do it, I hear a 'clink' right before I let go of the clutch all the way. Sounds, and feels like something is loose. I also hear grinding noises as well. Anyone has this problem too?
Old 11-18-2005, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your rear mount or the torque arm mount. I would wager one is broken or loose.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could be engine or tranny mouts letting everything rock back and fourth

Quick Reply: Transmission jerking