Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Remove 5th/6th Assembly, Still Driveable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 09:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Remove 5th/6th Assembly, Still Driveable?

Is it possible to remove the 5th/6th haft from the transmission and still have a working trany. Are the OD driven gears on their own seperate counter shaft or are they an extension of the mainshaft? What about shift linkage, does it have its on rail assembly that could be removed seperate from 1-4th. I dont have a manual or schematic of the inside of the trany so I figure I would post up here. So basicly turn a t56 into a 4 speed.

I'm only wondering this because I have a t56 were something in 5th and 6th is scrwed up. I have yet to crack the case to see what the problem was. The car dosn't see alot of street time so the lack of O/D isnt a problem. Do you think there is an advantage to having less to turn inside the transmission?

Thanks for replies.

Chris
Old 12-01-2005, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Well, if you never intend to use 5th and 6th, why not just never shift there?
Even if it did work without the 5/6 gears present (I don't think it was designed to do that), what would you gain? A billionth of a second?
Old 12-01-2005, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes they are separate gears and the cluster shaft is separate. You can eliminate the drive and driven gears but you will have to replace them with a tube of the same width. The cluster shaft (extension) will have to remain to allow the reverse to work and to provide bearing support. In the end you will have to fabricate some spacer tubes to replace the gears and you will lose some weight. Also the loss of the gears mesh& inertia will result is a quicker shift 1thru4. As was said above - how much will you actually gain? Seems like alot of work for what I suspect to be a little gain - go for it and let us know.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

thats what I needed to know. I wasn't sure how reverse was ran, and if it was needed for bearing support.

Thanks

Chris
Old 12-02-2005, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Also, you are going to seriously effect your ability to sell this car with only 1-4 gears, that is if you ever intend to sell it. Just my 2 cents. It just seems to me that it will be an amazing amount of work for so little gain, if any. IMHO.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:57 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Keysplayr, your forgetting he has to open the tranny up anyways, theres something wrong with his OD gears. So while his in their, instead of replacing gears or what ever $$$$, Just make something cheap, and have a decent gain also.

I couldnt live without 5th or 6th.

Quick Reply: Remove 5th/6th Assembly, Still Driveable?