Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Just exploded my pressure plate. Catastrophic

Old 12-24-2005, 05:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I went with a 4I and was only at 400 rwhp... for the reason mentioned above.

Still not changing my mind about the TH400 swap though... that's 100% gonna happen, tranny will be at my house next week.
if it had OD i'd be right behind ya inline for one
Old 12-25-2005, 01:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so vettes cant have blankets or these SFI bellhousings?

"Because of the Torque Tube you can't use an armored bell housing. There is not enough room for any blankets I have seen. Secondly is the problem of anchoring it somewhere. If you added Kevlar fabric in there you have to anchor it or it will just get added to the shrapnel."
Old 12-25-2005, 02:20 AM
TECH Addict

ha, i'd be rigging something up to work
Old 12-25-2005, 02:53 AM
On The Tree

Well anyone who buys a clutch should know what he/she is getting into. Spec will sell products just as McDonalds sell Big Macs...

If its ever a toss up on clutch decisions, a reputable shop will always work well for a complete setup.

MTI installed my spec III well.

Did anything fell abnormal with the clutch engagment/disengagement, slippage, hydraulics, vibrations?
Old 12-25-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I blew up a stage 4 and it was scarry, The preasure plate ring broke into about 4 pieces at around 3500-4000 RPM. I went to spec with the problem and they gave me some what of a deal on some new stuff, but I should have went with more. My car still has problems from that. Took out my bell housing, slave, a/c evaporator box, had to rebuild the tranny, buy a new starter, buy new headers, bang the floorboard down with a sledge hammer, all in addition to a new clutch and AL flywheel, and some other misc stuff. I wouldnt wish that **** on anybody. I will be using a better clutch next time.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:14 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ever going to post up the pics?
Old 12-28-2005, 02:37 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I knew a guy in the late '70s that fragged his factory clutch by over-revving. It was a late '60s Nova so there wasn't too much to damage, but it still took out his heater core, perforated his tranny tunnel, and poked holes through the top of his dash. He also had to dig out shrapnel from the soles of his steel shank work boots.
Since then, I have used ONLY SFI approved flywheels, clutches, and bell housings. There isn't a big difference in price and you are assured a quality product. I'm not about to put my legs and feet at risk to save a few bucks.
Ken
Old 12-28-2005, 03:01 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairstyle00
if it had OD i'd be right behind ya inline for one
The world survived for years with no overdrive... just go 60 on the highway, and there's no problem. I know the higher RPM causes more wear, but being realistic.. how much? We all beat our cars like a bad habit...... how much real damage could you be doing by holding hte engine at 3000 to 3500 with a relativly light load? My guess... not too much. I'll take my chances on teh engine wear, over the exploding clutch anyday. And my SFI approved carbon fiber TH400 shield, will let me sleep better at night.. never mind the added fun of a transbrake

Besides, I plan on a motor rebuild in a couple years anyway, and with the 2000 miles a year my car gets, or less... I'm not too concerned about it.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kenova
I have used ONLY SFI approved flywheels, clutches, and bell housings. There isn't a big difference in price and you are assured a quality product. I'm not about to put my legs and feet at risk to save a few bucks.
Ken
Spec stuff is SFI approved IIRC

But I love how people harp on Spec as some kind of safety issue.... They probably sell 6 to 1 as many high performance LS1 and Mustang clutches as all other manufacturers combined. OF COURSE they will have numerically the most failures and problems.

I would bet odds that they have < .002% (2 per 10,000) catastophic failure rate and that includes user created failures and not just manufacturing defects.

I'm not swinging from Spec's nuts either. If your running 400whp, launching with drag radials/slicks, spinning to 7k etc.... take adequate precautions. It is just common sense.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Default I’ve now had two spec stage 3 clutches gernade on me

• the first time I went with spec for an upgrade for my 2010 Camaro ss I decided to go with the spec stage 3 which suited the applications I have install went great did everything by the book, went for the first initial test drive which went great came to a stop In netural gave the car a rev and long behold the clutch pressure plate gernaded itself. At this point I’m in totally disbelief car was on fire took a Little for me to register what had just happened, totally destroyed my bel housing transmission input shaft etc punch a hole through the cowl area of my car served brake lights wiring harnesses clutch line destroyed my shifter, chunks off of my ls3 block which essentially made the engine worthless. So after all this happen the next week I get a hold of spec trying to explain what had happened in which the requested I send the clutch in which was in peace’s after weeks of back and forth talking they could not tell me exactly what caused the failure. In which they insisted on replacing the unit for the spec stage 3 clutch I had with an aluminum flywheel. I got in touch with the owner of spec which I also tried to explain the replacing a clutch does not make up for the fact that my engine is ruined along with my transmission and other meticulous things. Well after explaining all this to the owner is which did not want to speak via phone but through email instead wasn’t very helpful and pretty much sums up too well not our problem. So at this point I give accept the fact that I could be a one time thing. I being rebuilding my entire power train ordered a new ls3 block sent my tr6060 off to tick performance and had them rebuild it. I received the new unit they had sent me and thought give it another try, I did months and tons of money for me rebuilding a car in which is my daily driver so I was without a car for about 5-6 months working my butt so after all I said and done I do get my car running again after replacing everything that was damaged and then I had been driving the car for about two months no problem following the recommend break in procedures decided to do a bit more of a break in because I did not want to go through the same thing I did before being cautious of it all. I put 2210 miles on that clutch as of yesterday morning on my way to work coming from a stop through a light got on it a bit then before you know loud bang blew panels off the inside of my car near the shifter white smoke out the back of the car gear box locked up was able to roll off to the side of the road at this point I had already figured it was the clutch that just gernaded itself once again. In totally disbelief car for the tow truck get it taken to my job emailed the owner once again yesterday not very hopeful of any true resolve for the second time that I’m in the situation I am from an apparent clutch failure. I took the bullet the first time but now this is twice, this has definitely become a major issue for me in my matter for a clutch to explode not once but twice the second time after actually getting some road time on the clutch, I am once again devisted that I’m now in the same predicament being a car guy/mechanic all I want to do is make my car better so something like this doesn’t happen.

Last edited by bonethugs2u1; 03-08-2019 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Pictures to go with the first time it happened
Old 03-09-2019, 03:51 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Simple, stop using that thing. Something is wrong and causing it, whether it’s harmonics, a bad alignment in the driveline, something....
The following users liked this post:
bonethugs2u1 (04-22-2020)
Old 03-09-2019, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bonethugs2u1

• the first time I went with spec for an upgrade for my 2010 Camaro ss I decided to go with the spec stage 3 which suited the applications I have install went great did everything by the book, went for the first initial test drive which went great came to a stop In netural gave the car a rev and long behold the clutch pressure plate gernaded itself. At this point I’m in totally disbelief car was on fire took a Little for me to register what had just happened, totally destroyed my bel housing transmission input shaft etc punch a hole through the cowl area of my car served brake lights wiring harnesses clutch line destroyed my shifter, chunks off of my ls3 block which essentially made the engine worthless. So after all this happen the next week I get a hold of spec trying to explain what had happened in which the requested I send the clutch in which was in peace’s after weeks of back and forth talking they could not tell me exactly what caused the failure. In which they insisted on replacing the unit for the spec stage 3 clutch I had with an aluminum flywheel. I got in touch with the owner of spec which I also tried to explain the replacing a clutch does not make up for the fact that my engine is ruined along with my transmission and other meticulous things. Well after explaining all this to the owner is which did not want to speak via phone but through email instead wasn’t very helpful and pretty much sums up too well not our problem. So at this point I give accept the fact that I could be a one time thing. I being rebuilding my entire power train ordered a new ls3 block sent my tr6060 off to tick performance and had them rebuild it. I received the new unit they had sent me and thought give it another try, I did months and tons of money for me rebuilding a car in which is my daily driver so I was without a car for about 5-6 months working my butt so after all I said and done I do get my car running again after replacing everything that was damaged and then I had been driving the car for about two months no problem following the recommend break in procedures decided to do a bit more of a break in because I did not want to go through the same thing I did before being cautious of it all. I put 2210 miles on that clutch as of yesterday morning on my way to work coming from a stop through a light got on it a bit then before you know loud bang blew panels off the inside of my car near the shifter white smoke out the back of the car gear box locked up was able to roll off to the side of the road at this point I had already figured it was the clutch that just gernaded itself once again. In totally disbelief car for the tow truck get it taken to my job emailed the owner once again yesterday not very hopeful of any true resolve for the second time that I’m in the situation I am from an apparent clutch failure. I took the bullet the first time but now this is twice, this has definitely become a major issue for me in my matter for a clutch to explode not once but twice the second time after actually getting some road time on the clutch, I am once again devisted that I’m now in the same predicament being a car guy/mechanic all I want to do is make my car better so something like this doesn’t happen.
I hope you get a QuickTime bellhousing to go with the new setup. Sorry to hear you had trouble but if I was you I would never use a spec again. I’ve had 3 monster clutches and now a McLeod.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Not sure which is more impressive...that damage or the 14 year old thread bump !

And the same thing happening twice.....pretty damn sure it's nothing to do with the parts used. More likely whoever fitted them
Old 03-11-2019, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Talk about a blast from the past. Pun intended. Sorry about your luck with that thing. Ive installed a dozen Specs and have had zero issues yet.
The following users liked this post:
bonethugs2u1 (04-22-2020)
Old 03-19-2019, 04:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Not sure which is more impressive...that damage or the 14 year old thread bump !

And the same thing happening twice.....pretty damn sure it's nothing to do with the parts used. More likely whoever fitted them
The wallered out mount bolt areas are telling. Bet they ended up loose and it eventually let go.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stevieturbo

Damage is very impressive. But you clearly have no damn idea what you are talking about lol who the he’ll intentionally grenades two clutch just for the fun of it..😂 experienced tech going who’s done plenty of clutch jobs... any who spec doesn’t show good ownership my loss and I just won’t ever buy one again simple fix. Now project 427 coming along and it’s been almost a year..
Old 04-22-2020, 06:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Simple, stop using that thing. Something is wrong and causing it, whether it’s harmonics, a bad alignment in the driveline, something....

yeah just stop using it lol.. I’ve seen guys make 1000 rear wheel on some of the higher hp clutches no issues... ownership of the company though takes no credibility for there product sadly enough
Old 04-22-2020, 11:54 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by bonethugs2u1
Damage is very impressive. But you clearly have no damn idea what you are talking about lol who the he’ll intentionally grenades two clutch just for the fun of it..😂 experienced tech going who’s done plenty of clutch jobs... any who spec doesn’t show good ownership my loss and I just won’t ever buy one again simple fix. Now project 427 coming along and it’s been almost a year..
Clearly the retard who destroys two clutches is the problem....in 30 years building and racing I've never had it happen. And only once see it happen where some muppet had bodged together parts. And he and the spectators were incredibly lucky to escape harm.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just exploded my pressure plate. Catastrophic