Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default grinding noise

hey! new guy here with a tricky situation...

first off i have a 97 trans am, t56. since i got the car a few months ago the clutch pedal would have to come out quite far to be able to start giving it gas, almost all the way out, and sometimes when leaving a stop it will slip, but it hasnt ever slipped between shifts.

-------------------------------------------------------------

anyway i have a weird grinding...let me describe it:

if you were to press the clutch pedal a little bit down on any car and try to shift it you'd get a deep, slow grinding of the gears meshing together i guess.

my grinding is distinctly different than this type of grinding. its higher pitched and faster. and doesnt affect my shifter.

my reverse used to do it if i didnt have it all the way in gear. i'd have to slam it into reverse and hear for it to click into gear. ive figured out how to get past it.

but lately ive had a serious problem with this type of grinding. i was driving along one night, not at all driving hard. left a stop and went to shift into 2nd and i couldnt go into gear. i couldnt go into any gears. i pulled over and turned the car off and that was when i was able to go into gear. i checked the fluid level and it was fine. once i started the car up again i couldnt go into gear again. i had to slam it into each gear and really work it in and finally i was able to roughly get it into 1st and as i started driving again it got easier to shift.

well that was thursday, now when i shift it, it shifts with a little resistance, but during any upshift or downshift i get a grinding noise...the same noise my reverse has been making like i discussed above. and when i feather the gas and clutch to leave a stop i hear a weird clanking noise, as if a bearing is bad or theres pieces of loose metal moving around somewhere...my clutch pedal itself hasnt changed. it doesnt feel spongier as if it has air in the lines or anything.

okay now all thats out...does anyone have any ideas?