Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutchless shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutchless shifting

I've been driving manuals on and off for a few years and haven't ever figured out how to shift without using the clutch. I know a few people that can do it because they have done it infront of me before but can't explain how to do it. It's frustrating.

If anybody knows how, try to explain it the best you can so I can go practice on my company truck first.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:45 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Ummmmmmmmmmmm...probley not the best idea. Learn power shifting instead. keep her WOT while shifting.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Lithium
Ummmmmmmmmmmm...probley not the best idea. Learn power shifting instead. keep her WOT while shifting.
I wasn't talking about when racing and what not, just cruising around on backroads or whatever. All I have ever heard from anybody is you have to match the rpm's with the gears or some crap like that.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

match the rpms. Not a good idea though. I hear its not good, and if you mess up, it'll grind I did it once.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not recommended, but handy to know (if your clutch doesn't want to disengage)
It's really a question of matching revs, when you upshift take your foot off the gas, take the car out of gear,and wait till the rpm drops to the point the shifter will go into the next higher gear, downshift, take foot off gas, take car out of gear, and add revs till the shifter goes into the gear you want.
FWIW this will damage/prematurely wear the synchros, so don't do it unless you have to (and if you waste your trans don't blame me for telling you how to do it)
Old 03-06-2006, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
Not recommended, but handy to know (if your clutch doesn't want to disengage)
It's really a question of matching revs, when you upshift take your foot off the gas, take the car out of gear,and wait till the rpm drops to the point the shifter will go into the next higher gear, downshift, take foot off gas, take car out of gear, and add revs till the shifter goes into the gear you want.
FWIW this will damage/prematurely wear the synchros, so don't do it unless you have to (and if you waste your trans don't blame me for telling you how to do it)
Thanks for the info. I just wanted to know so if I ever lose the clutch in the company truck or have to drive a vehicle that is lacking in the clutch department. I have plenty of company trucks to slightly experiment on (with warranties ). I don't think I would ever use this on the Z28 unless I had no clutch what-so-ever.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

I'll tell you this, it takes alot of practice to be good at it, so make sure your warranty is a good one
Old 03-06-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

My friend does it in his 1986 Toyota Celica, good stuff
Old 03-06-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

My last job, I part time drove a steak bed -so did other co-workers- and one time I was sitting passenger when I noticed one of my co-workers shiftiing without engaging the cluch. I noticed this because he had the revs so dam high and I heard a grind. He said, something similar to what is being said in this thread about rev matching. But the dumb *** was also grinding the gears.

About 6 months later. I hardly drive the steak bed and this fat *** comes up to me and ask me, 'hey bro, the tranny is gone in the truck, the clucth is weak'. I didn't say nothing, since by that time it had been a few months that I was not a daily driver of that truck. And I know it was him with his rev-matching bullsht that fuked up the truck but he's over here blaming me, damn fat ***.

No, dissing the original starter of this thread. But some people don't know what the hell they are talking about.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

i used to do that back when i owned my acura... just when cruising, it would go thru pretty smooth as long as i was driving it at a normal pace, you could kind of feel about it should be done, but honestly it requires more concentration on things other than the road than should be given while cruising
Old 03-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Launching!

I think the clutch is there for a reason. If you don't want to use it get an auto.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Launching!

I had to do this a few months ago in my beater car ('93 Eagle Summit 1.5L lol). The clutch cable was fraying and about to give out, so I was trying to drive without using the clutch as much as possible for a few days until the new cable came in. I made it home one day about a 20 min drive through many stop signs and lights only using the clutch the start the car and get it rolling the first time. I made it home upshifting and downshifting without the clutch. Going from 2nd to 1st was a tough one lol. I actually almost came to complete stops with the car in gear haha. Fun times.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:33 AM
10 Second Club

My Dad is a pro at it in his old farm truck beaters. He has had to drive 50+ miles before with ZERO clutch. Turn it off at stoplights and signs. Yeah, the old **** will start in gear, HUGE bonus in a pinch But when it comes to the WS6 I will stick with using the clutch
Old 03-07-2006, 01:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Rental cars all have this as a standard feature.

Old 03-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Launching!

you can even start from a stop in our cars with out the clutch.... if you give it some pressure like you are trying to put it in first without the clutch... the car will slightly roll forward.... let off the pressure, than put it back on... soon enough, you will be going 5mph and it will go into gear like butter
Old 03-07-2006, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

I was a semi truck driver for a couple of years and thats all you do in those trucks. I know they are a lot bigger and beefier, but still the same concept. I talked to a trans tech for Mack trucks and he said that it doesn't harm those transmissions at all not even the synchros. But that is heavy duty equipment. The most important part of shifting is matching up the revs, as long as you don't grind the gears.

But for daily driven cars I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

that doesn't sound like its too good for the tranny. I can start my car in gear took out that saftey do-dad behind the clutch, course im the only one who drives my car...
Old 03-07-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

my friedn does this in his focus, not often, but he was showing me, he would use clutch for first of course, but then when he would shift he would put it into N then count to 3 and as he said 3 it would slide into the next gear, very smooth, didnt attempt downshifting

i asked my dad about this when my friend showed me, he's a mechanic, he seems to know what hes talking about most of the time, he said its not hurting stuff if u do it smoothly

i havent bothered, i have the standard in the first place because i like all the shifting, else i get bored

all u do is put it in to neutral, then hold it against the next gear w/ a lil pressure and see where it slides in at
Old 03-07-2006, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
that doesn't sound like its too good for the tranny. I can start my car in gear took out that saftey do-dad behind the clutch, course im the only one who drives my car...
You have to have your start-in-gear protection activated if you want to race at a track. You might have to put it back in.

Ben T.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

rentals LOL NICE