Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifting at wot

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 07:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Shifting at wot

How hard is this on the engine/trans, and is it worth doing at the track?
It seems kinda dangerous to do to a daily driver. Will this actually knock time off of my et?
Old 03-20-2006, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you mean powershifting with your foot flat on the floor while you shift?
Old 03-20-2006, 03:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Powershifting will net you a little et and mph if your good at it. BEFORE you decide to do this make damn sure that your clutch and hydraulics are up to the task of releasing fast enough or you WILL grind as you attempt to tag the next gear and it will take a toll on your synchronizers in a hurry(rebuild)
Old 03-20-2006, 08:39 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I launch w/ a 2 step & never lift till the finish line. The car responds nicely & it is fun.
But I will agree, your hydraulics must be up to the task. It is the whole key, otherwise your tearing up tranny's.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:21 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what bout us LT1 guys that don't have a hydraulic clutch? What should we be checking up on? I have JUST started powershifting ( public roads ) and have been having one HELL of a time keeping traction, actually, I can't get any. I 'try' to keep it by slowly rolling into 1st, once I get it WOT, its jsut abotu time to shift into second, and I power shift into second and the *** goes crazy, I can keep it straight though, and the 2-3 shift usually nets a good chirp...
Old 03-21-2006, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
Powershifting will net you a little et and mph if your good at it. BEFORE you decide to do this make damn sure that your clutch and hydraulics are up to the task of releasing fast enough or you WILL grind as you attempt to tag the next gear and it will take a toll on your synchronizers in a hurry(rebuild)
Aint' that the truth.. I powershift my scion daily driver all the time, just because it's so pathetically slow, i've been through 5 transmissions in under 7 months.. After a month or so of powershifting, they start to scratch, just because of a shitty clutch setup, not because i've been doing it wrong. No synchros can stand powershifting if the clutch is not completely disengaged, same goes for downshifting.. If your clutch/hydraulics arent in peak shape, DONT DO IT, it'll be expensive. Unless you've got a 7 year powertrain warranty

spuds- its a pointless waste of gas, tires, and transmission if you're not getting traction on the street, save it for the track, to squeeze those extra tenths out of your ET.
olly