Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tricks to remove the transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 10:27 AM
...with cheese.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

put a slight jack load on the tail of the transmission to unload the dowels. There are prypoints on both sides of the transmission/bellhousing surface for this exact purpose. Make sure you have removed your entire shifter assembly from the transmission through the interior of the car. That tends to hang if you don't. You'll thank yourself for doing that on the re-install also. Now with the load off the dowels you need to seperate the oxidized parts. Use what you've got... but try your best not to scar the case. I start with a large screwdriver in the pry spot on both sides until you get about an 1/8" of clearance. Also, make sure the slave cylinder is disconnected.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to clarify, you unbolted the Trans from the Bellhousing, meaning the bell is still attached to the engine? If so, i dont think you got all the bolts out, because i did this same procedure and the trans damn near fell on me. I dont remember exactly how many bolts are there, but ive done this 3 times recently. There are no dowel pins between the trans, and bell. There are big ones between the bell and motor though, and those are some stubborn bitches.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are dowels between the transmission and the bellhousing, they're just smaller.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taggin along with everyone else, you need to unbolt the 8 bolts holding the trans to the bellhousing. There are (2) dowels which are lining everything up. On the passenger side of the trans/bellhousing, there is a small tab. You need to pry from this tab or the trans will not come out. It helps if you have a buddy helping as well to make the trans cooperate.

Take your time and DO NOT get frustrated or you will break things.

Good luck
Andy
Old 04-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, thanks for all the tips. I'm in Chicago till tomorrow night, I'll get back to it later tomorrow night.

I'll hopefully post some news of progress tomorrow late night.

-Raj
Old 04-08-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think he is only trying to get the tranny off the bell housing, not the bell housing off the block.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Another 2 hours and there is still not gap between the trans and the Bell. I see that "pry point" on the passanger side, but its so high up and the floor pan of the car gets in the way. I am taking a break right now. Re read everything you guys wrote and will get back at it in 10 minutes... I'm really close to just towing it to a trans shop that is 1/2 mile away, and have them take it off for me. I want to get this damn thing off so i can get it to T56Rebuilds. The weather is getting better in Michigan and i need to get this car back on the road!
Old 04-11-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Dude, take you time. Have a buddy handy as well. Mine was a bitch to get off but it eventually came off. Double check to make sure all bolts are out and you HAVE to pry from that one point. Lemme try and dig up a link for you....I'll post back in 5 min.

Andy
Old 04-11-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

I cant find the link/article....basically it said the trans will not seperate unless you pry from a point on the trans that has an ear. I am pretty sure it is on the passenger side, may be wrong. Regardless, find a point to pry from but be careful since the casing is only aluminum.

If I didnt say this before....TAKE YOU TIME!

Good luck
Andy
Old 04-11-2006, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

im in the same spot he is....the only thing that I have read that I didn't do was disconnect the slave cylinder. How do I disconnect it and do I need any special tools ?
Old 04-11-2006, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlackLS199
im in the same spot he is....the only thing that I have read that I didn't do was disconnect the slave cylinder. How do I disconnect it and do I need any special tools ?
The slave cylinder is inside the tranny. After you slide the tranny back a couple inches you will be able to get to the slave cylinder. i believe it has 2 10mm bolts.

-Miguel
Old 04-11-2006, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Good deal!
Old 04-12-2006, 11:04 AM
9 Second Club

Ok, so what happened? Did you get it out?
Old 04-12-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Troy
Ok, so what happened? Did you get it out?
Good question. He hasnt posted up so I guess he is working on the car! haha

Andy
Old 04-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Teching In

MAN! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..... NOPE its still on the car. I can't even get a bit of gap between the parts. I had my friend go to harbor freight and pick up a winch. I was going to take that advice to attach it to the rear axle and the other end to the back of the trans some how... Then I'll have my friend slowly winch it so it has a decent amount of tension on it, another friend use a wood block and hammer, and then I'll keep prying with this new crowbar that I got. between all 3 of those things, if this doesn't work, then I'll pull it to the trans shop 1/2 mile away and have them try.

Man, I was hoping to have the transmission Back by this weekend, and I haven't even sent it yet.

AND, I got laid off from GM today... GREAT. Things just keep getting better!
Old 04-14-2006, 06:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good luck. haha. I pulled my motor and did it on the ground and it STILL took me about 20 minutes to get it apart. The tranny came off thebell housing easy...but the bell housing off the motor was a ***** and a half. I broke my bell housing trying to get that damn dowl out. good luck, get a rubber mallot, that helps a lot. A dead blow and hit it back and forth. Tey getting a cheep screwdriver and bending it to get access to the pry point. if all else fails, drop the motor. heh.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Just towed it to a shop... I have never been this stumped by a car before.

Thanks for all your help guys... I'm sure it was all exactly what I should have done, but it is just TOO stuck!

sux
Old 04-24-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone else reads this who has a stuck bellhousing, try this. Put a thick metal plate or square tubing inside the bellhousing flat against the clutch. Then put a couple transmission bolts in the bellhousing and tighten them up against the metal plate so as they tighten they press the bellhousing away from the motor.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Well I towed it to a shop and it turns out the pilot bearing was stuck in. So it took them a good 3 hours of prying to get it out, and cleaned up. The transmission is down at T56 Rebuilds right now. I have bought a LS2 flywheel, and have the updated slave and master cyls. (with drill mod) ready to install. I have a Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch kit that the guy threw in when I bought the car. Should I use this clutch kit, or go with the LS7 Kit?

thanks for your input!

-Raj
Old 05-22-2006, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

I had to drop the cradle to get it the top bolts. Remove the starter and alternator I think in order to get the darn thing out.

Quick Reply: Tricks to remove the transmission?