Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Z06 Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06 Clutch Question

I have noticed for awhile that my clutch is not grabbing as hard as it did when the car was new. I have a 2001 Z28 with about 15,000 pretty hard miles on it. I can remember being able to grab third gear rubber at will but can't do it anymore. I don't do a lot of burnouts or clutch dumps but have made about 10 passes at the dragstrip and practiced launching quite a few times. The clutch doesn't slip nor do the gears grind and I've never really launched it hard enough to smell the clutch burning. I'd say my hardest launch would be 3000 and slipping the clutch (which I know isn't good for it). I know its from no lack of power because I was just recently at the dyno and everything checked out fine there. I've been searching on these boards for suggestions and have read something about the clutch return spring going or the clutch fluid needing to be flushed. To be brutally honest I have no concept of either of these things. Where are the located and what do I need to check for? I have a 15000 service coming up soon should I have them look at the clutch? My Drivetrain is stock but I have mods under the hood. Opinions please!!!!!
Old 04-26-2002, 12:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Z06 Clutch Question

If your mods are minor (e.g. air lid, MAF), have the dealer look at it.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

its def not the return spring. Mine broke about 2 months ago and I just finally got it fixed. I went without it for those 2 months, all it does is return the clutch pedal to you the farthest it can.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your clutch is just wearing out.My stock clutch lasted 4k miles while driving hard.You can just drive it till it doesn't hold anymore.While doing it just save up some $$ for a better clutch like a SPEC stage 3.
I also work on these cars as you can see in my sig.Live in Raynham/Taunton
Old 06-14-2004, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

oops I meant to say it is DEF your clutch return spring. Mine did break 2 months ago. Sorry about the typo before
Old 06-15-2004, 12:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say go ahead and have them take a look at it when you take it in for servicing... mine holds up surprisingly well as long as I don't try to a 5k+ clutch dump. I regularly dump the clutch at 4500 rpms or so in 2nd gear to do a burnout at the track, and it still holds well enough for me to scratch on just about every upshift when racing.

Also, my clutch return spring broke about 6 months ago (second time it's happened) and I just said to hell with it. Haven't missed it at all...