Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch in but ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch in but ?

Okay, the clutch is in. The zo6 clutch, 01-02 master and new slave of course. They tranny shop had never heard of the drill mod and said it didn't see the point. So it wasn't done. What does this mean to me as far as perfotmance? How should it feel? It feels weird. Soft and smooth. Easy. The input shaft is bad. How long before you think it will give me trouble? What does this all mean? Can I get on it or not? Should I drive the car like fun or like it might break apart. How important is this? Oh the parts, z06 clutch stuff ,were slightly used. Bought it from a fellow Ls1tech member. The shop kept telling me it was no good. They wanted me to buy a new one. Was going to go somewhere else reputable but they don't do trannys. They would have done the mod though! I thought the part looked okay. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Last edited by Medic/Z28; 06-16-2006 at 06:55 PM. Reason: added stuff
Old 06-16-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

What exactly do you mean the input shaft was bad? That's not a good thing and could cause trouble in a short time. The drill mod helps some and not others--depends on your set-up. Not sure about your clutch if the shop said it was a bad part. Tell us why they said that.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The input shaft is worn out. They said it would vibrate the bearing and cause internal damage to the transmission. I don't know much about transmissions. The z06 clutch was slightly used. @ 2000 miles on it. It had some heat spots but I thought it wasn't bad. It drives and feels great. Not sure about that input shaft though. Of course I'm not doing burn outs or anything much less taking her to the drag strip.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bmvgmkhjk,vuj,h
Old 06-19-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody?
Old 06-19-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had to replace the input shaft on my car. Whoever owned the car before me put the input shaft from an LT1 in the car. Its about an inch and half shorter than the LS1 input shaft and I went through numerous slave cylinders.

You might as well go ahead and spend the money and put a new input shaft on the tranny. Me and a friend did it ourselves in my shop. Took some time, but the car has ran great ever since.

One thing you could try doing as a quick fix is get a new pilot bushing. It was recommended to me by Amber and Joe at T56 rebuilds. Find a pilot bushing from a 69 Camaro with a 4 speed munsey. Its a brass bushing and will keep the input shaft from moving. Its a cheap fix that might help extend the life of the tranny and slave.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can this actually ruin my transmission?

Quick Reply: Clutch in but ?