Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Possible slave cyl. prob..need help

Old 07-03-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possible slave cyl. prob..need help

Whenever i floor it and take it up through the gears, (through 5th at least) it becomes very hard to shift.I practically have to pull the shifter with both hands to get it in and out of gears. My clutch pedal also sticks to the back wall.

Can anyone help on this issue?
Old 07-03-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Regular

Default Bleed lines

Bleed your tranny lines and put new fluid in it. My car was having the same issue and when I drained my fluid...well let's not compare the color of motor oil to tranny oil...If you do that it should help you out a ton. My car would only have shifting issues at high RPM's though at lower RPM's it shifted fine. Also you could probably use some hydraulic brake fluid in your clutch.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

Just did that, and we found that I'm probably gonna need a new slave cylinder. What are the labor and parts costs for something like that? Should I just start looking for a better slave cyl. thats aftermarket?
Old 07-04-2006, 12:33 AM
TECH Regular

Default New slave

Well a new slave is gonna cost around $150 from a GM dealer. That would be the newer 01-02 slave cylinder style. You're gonna need a new pilot bearing and flywheel though. This would be the time to upgrade your clutch while you're down there...that is of course if you can afford it.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

yeah, im getting a new slave cyl (thank god for my GM discount) which comes with a new pilot bearing, and gonna upgrade to the centerforce dual friction clutch assembly, which is the best application I think for my mods. getting it all done next monday for 250. im gonna have to just keep my flywheel stock, as I dont have the money for it now. thanks!
Old 07-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

I just put in a spec stage 2 clutch and upgraded slave and still have the same problem that you are having tripps. I am putting in an adjustable clutch master cylinder this week cause that is the only thing that has not been upgraded yet.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

well damn, i hope that this solves my problem. obviously its a hydraulic problem and could possibly be the result of a leak in the line that goes to the slave cylinder. whenever we take the tranny out we'll take a really close look at everything to try and spot the problem. it seems like a common problem with these cars once they get quite a few miles on them.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

this might be the cause of the problem, and also states a way to fix it:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/510788-manual-transmission-faq-look-here-first.html
Old 07-07-2006, 07:57 AM
Teching In

Default Same Problem

I have a 99 TransAm and had the Same problem. We replaced the Slave Cyl. about a month ago. Just this morning the cluth started to stick to the floor again. But I wasnt shifting at a high rpm, i was pulling out of a parking lot. But this time the pedal wan't easy to pull back up.
Do i need the drill mod?
Or a new slave cyl.?
Nicole

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible slave cyl. prob..need help