Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LT1 T56 Grinding Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 T56 Grinding Reverse

My buddy has a 97 LT1... we just put a new zoom street/ strip clutch in his car... We bleed it and then used mity vac on it ruffly 5 or 6 times... so i belive its bleed ok id say... now when the car is off it shifts threw the gears with ease... when you start the car 1 23 are stiff to get in... now once you get rolling they arent real stiff.... when you stop and go to shift into reverse it grinds.... i have been reading alot on ls1 cars they say you have to shim the slave now is this also true with the LT1 or could the master or slave have gone bad???
thanks chris
Old 07-14-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe ya when you said you bled the system but the problem you describe is a non -releasing clutch. If you resurfaced the flywheel you may have stack-up problems.I am not sure about LT1s but I think GM doesn't care too much for resurfacing LS1s( they can handle less heat). Shimming sounds like a way to compensate for the cut.How much you cut would be the shim thickness.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks man ill have to get back to ya on that one im not sure how much he took off

Quick Reply: LT1 T56 Grinding Reverse