Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How important is this spring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How important is this spring?

Completed my LS7 clutch install and the drill mod yesterday. Took care of a couple other things I wanted to after work today while it was up on stands and then took it for a test drive. Everything was going great, drives like a completely different car, actually feels more like a clutch than it did before. Anyhoo, about 15 miles into my countryside test drive a hear a "ting" and feel something fall down at my feet. I pulled over to see what it was and it was this spring. I'm not sure of it's exact purpose and as far as I know I didn't even disturb it during the whole drill-mod charade but the pedal feels no different. As far as I can tell everything is functioning fine and I put another 20 miles on it before returning home with no issues whatsoever. I'll probably get another one and replace it eventually but it justs strikes me as odd that it broke 2 places at once, right after I did this install and there's no discernable difference in the way the pedal feels or the way the clutch disengages. Should I park it until it's fixed or should I just forget about it? Also, how much of a bitch is it to replace? lol

Please forgive my lack of focus
Attached Thumbnails How important is this spring?-clutch-spring.jpg  
Old 07-17-2006, 07:41 PM
10 Second Club

Not important at all, mine broke over a year ago. I think its the pedal return spring, the hydralic pressure has enough to return the pedal so dont worry about it.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Mine broke in the exact same spots I think it is the return spring also, I still have my stock clutch and the thing broke. I guess I might just have calves of steel or lead footed in both feet.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:39 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

I broke mine about a year ago and even bought a replacement. I never put it in. I verified that it returns far enough to prevent it from riding in contact with the throw out bearing so I never did anything about it.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

Cool, that answers my question...buy a new one now, and don't install it until 25 years from now when it's in a 1000 point concours car show, yeah right, lol.

The more I think about it, it probably broke from pumping the pedal 3000 times trying to gravity bleed the clutch.

Thanks!