Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need Help putting tranny back in.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need Help putting tranny back in.

Ok heres the story. I recently pulled my tranny out to get built with all the upgrades. I pulled it out myself in my garage. The car is on four ramps and I used a standard jack to pull it out. Getting it out was no problem but putting it back it seems like a biatch, what would be the best technic to install it. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hahahaha...I told you that it sucks man... =) soooo here's what I did...You get a small jack to put under the oil pan and have a wooden block so that you don't scar it...You then put a jack under the tranny somewhere around the shifter (not too far back though) so that you can jack the tranny up to meet the engine...Just play with the two jacks from there until you can feel the input shaft going in...Once that happens start putting some of the bolts in but make sure to not cross thread them...Start tightening them down a little at a time and you can still play with the jacks to get it seated further in...After that it's just trying to get the rest of the bolts in...Good luck buddy...Call me if you need anymore help...
Old 07-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find a buddy to help. Get the car way up in the air to the point where you can bench press the trans into place with your arms fully extended. Have your buddy guide/push the input shaft into place. Once the shaft is in place, use a spare jack stand or jack to hold it there while you install the bolts.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by amazza76
Find a buddy to help. Get the car way up in the air to the point where you can bench press the trans into place with your arms fully extended. Have your buddy guide/push the input shaft into place. Once the shaft is in place, use a spare jack stand or jack to hold it there while you install the bolts.
I'm not really able to get it that high. I think I'm gonna try using a jack and balancing it.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DRAIN THE TRANSMISSION!!! It makes it sooo much lighter and it's a lot less messy...when are you going to try to do this John?? I'll see if I can get away from the little woman and help if need be...
Old 07-24-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98turbls1
DRAIN THE TRANSMISSION!!! It makes it sooo much lighter and it's a lot less messy...when are you going to try to do this John?? I'll see if I can get away from the little woman and help if need be...
The tranny was drained when I pulled it out. I'm hoping its not gonna be to hard installing it back in.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its a little over 100 pounds i believe. I just did ours this past weekend (AGAIN), with it on ramps, and 2x12s in the back, and jack stands in the front. Im a pretty big dude(6'2", 250lbs), so i just got it up on my chest, and pushed it up, and into place.

Ive done this a few times, and its worked for me. Did you take it off with, or without the bellhousing?

Quick Reply: Need Help putting tranny back in.