Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Replace input shaft bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 07:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Replace input shaft bearing?

Hey guys, I am replacing my clutch and converting to 01-02 slave soon to try to fix this dead clutch problem (the notorious one). I am going to replace the clutch, pp, TO bearing, slave, and pilot bearing, but my question, is is should I go ahead and replace the front input shaft bearing on the tranny as well just for ***** and giggles? Thought just crossed my mind. I know how to do it, I did it on my old camaro V6 5 speed. Thanks in advance,

Last edited by 93camaro_zzz; 08-11-2006 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think what you said and what you are asking are not the same. The swapping of the input bearing in the trans will require a teardown and re-shim operation( biggish job). Unless you have an unstated reason to suspect it, leave it alone.Changing the pitot bearing ( mounted in the crank) is what I think you are asking and , yes, change it.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I have never seen a T56, I just know from the T5 on my 95 camaro V6 that I replaced, that all there was was 4 bolts and this access cover came off, and boom, there is the input shaft bearings. I figured the T56 was the same. If it requires alot of work, I wont of course, but if it is this easy, I just might. I mean, this doesnt really ever go bad that I have heard of, I am just a little uneasy, because on the T5 I had in that camaro, the input shaft bearing went out, and then allowed the gear teeth to mesh at the ends, and ripped all the teeth off second gear. Anyone else have any ideas on the situation? Thanks guys,

Quick Reply: Replace input shaft bearing?