Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hurst Shifter has play in it...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurst Shifter has play in it...

Hi i have the Hurst Billet short throw shifter. this past weekend i was showing my friend from school the car so i threw him in the seat a few times hahahah... But after a few hard shifts i seemed to have noticed that the shifter has a lot of play in it now and can shake very lose about an inch forward and backwards. It does this when in neutral and in each gear. Im thinking that the stop screws got moved back on those shifts and need to be readjusted. I noticed that it pops out of reverse a lot because its loose in the gear. I think ill try to check the stop screws first anything else it could be?
Old 08-15-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you take the shifter off, there is a little cup that the trans end of the shifter sits in. I believe its plastic or some synthetic material. You could have broken that maybe...its like a bushing. So if it shattered or came apart, it could cause slop.

The stops on the shifter dont do anything for keeping it from feeling "loose". They are there to keep you from over extending the shift, adn take the brunt of the slam. There are internal stops in the trans too, but the stops on the shifter are supposed to take some of the abuse away from them.

Now...if Im incorrect in anything...i apologize. My ls1/6spd swap will be the first manual car Ive owned...so Im by no means a genius with the T56. But unless you broke something internally from banging gears, or just plaing broke the shifter, I cant think of anythign else I could be. Hurst is supposed to be a tough shifter...so I dont know if its possible that you broke something in the shifter itself or not...

Justin
Old 08-15-2006, 03:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you just need to tighten the allen head bolts that secure the stick to the actual shifter. Put some red loctite on them and they should stay tight.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

x 2 on the handle/ lever bolts being loose.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm...forgot about those bolts. Im used to messing with my ripper. No bolts on there. Would they loosen up like that after one hard shifting session though? i would think they would gradually back out. Sounded like his problem happened right after he banged some gears. Like I said...I was just guessing Hopefully its as simple as those two bolts! Good luck!

Justin

Quick Reply: Hurst Shifter has play in it...