Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

PLEASE HELP, wont go into reverse

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP, wont go into reverse

My car was fine driving today. I parked it in my garage, go to leave and it wont go into reverse. In neutral, the shifter will not move past the 5th gear position which leads me to believe it has something to do with the reverse lockout that our cars have to prevent from shifting into reverse at speed. How do I fix this? Can I bypass it or disable it somehow.

I have removed the center console, shift boot and shift stick and am down to the shifter but I dont know what to do from here.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See if the "ENG SEN" fuse is blown...
Old 08-29-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

I fixed it temporarily. The reverse lockout was stuck on. Solenoid is probably bad. I guess I should check the fuse though.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

The solenoid provides load at all times untill it gets power. It is most doubtful that it failed " ON" as you say( which is really its off =load position) . It is more likely the power is not being delivered to the solenoid to relieve the load to the reverse gate.Why would you not check the fuse first?
Old 08-30-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

To tell you the truth I didnt even think of it until I was done. All I did was take the solenoid off of the lockout mechanism and plugged the hole with a piece of rubber. I dont see how you can shift into reverse instead of 5th anyway. I bet you couldnt if you tried. I will probably just leave the solenoid off.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats not a good plan. Yes you can engage reverse at a forward speed fast enough to severly damage more than the trans.People mis-shift these things every day. I would solve th problem correctly and end with the functioning reverse inhibitor.