Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is something wrong with my spec?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is something wrong with my spec?

I have a spec stage 1 with my stock flywheel resurfaced.What happens is when i take off in 1st sometimes the whole car shakes and it sounds like the tranny is falling apart, also sometimes i get a popping noise going in reverse.The clutch only has about 1100mi and the first 500mi were easy mi,really shakey too.I think by now it should not be giving me any problems.
Any help would be much appreciated
Old 09-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Teching In

I kinda have the same problem. I just put a spec stage 3 in my 99 z28 and it told me that i need to break it in for 500 miles. I drove on the highway and city streets during the break in,taking it easy. Now i got about 1200 miles on it and the car still shakes but not as bad.

My buddy had told me that its just the clutch chattering. He said that it is still going to do that after the break in. He has the same clutch and it took awhile before it stopped chattering.

Now the popping noise going in to reverse, i dont know anything about that. Mine doesnt do that.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jay_blkz28
I kinda have the same problem. I just put a spec stage 3 in my 99 z28 and it told me that i need to break it in for 500 miles. I drove on the highway and city streets during the break in,taking it easy. Now i got about 1200 miles on it and the car still shakes but not as bad.

My buddy had told me that its just the clutch chattering. He said that it is still going to do that after the break in. He has the same clutch and it took awhile before it stopped chattering.

Now the popping noise going in to reverse, i dont know anything about that. Mine doesnt do that.
What he said. Just give it some time to break in. The noise in revers
Old 09-06-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes break in will take a while. I have a Spec 2 and it still chatteres a little after about 3500 miles. As far as the popping noise, Is it a clunk? like something in your trans is bein bumped around? I get that sometimes. Instead of just shifting from nuetral to reverse, trying putting it in 1st then into reverse.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:31 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys iam a happy camper now .Money is pretty tight since iam in the process of moving from California to Arizona and waiting for the house to sell and i have other expenses too. Yeah michaelg589 it sounds like something is being bumped around in the tranny and i will try putting it in first then reverse thanks.Also since the clutch is still breaking in can i drive it hard or still be easy? I already gave it full power after 500mi though i have'nt raced the car.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:23 AM
Teching In

I dont see why you couldn't get on it after the break in period. After my 500 "break in" miles, i get on it when i want. I just dont floor it all the time.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea, I would say dont completely beat on it with WOT. And dont drag race it just yet. I would wait till about 800 miles for abuse like that.