Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

my drill mod experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default my drill mod experience

it did absolutely jack for me.

I had been having trouble/impossibleness (yeah, I made that word up) getting the car to shift into 3rd above 5500 rpms. I've tried gliding it in, jamming it, slamming it, super granny shifting and nothing helped get it into 3rd effectively.

The car did have black clutch fluid with some of that gummy stuff floating on the top, so I first tried to gravity bleed/flush the entire system. This didn't help my shifting problem. I then got a mightyvac and pulled some small bubbles out, but still had the same problem. So, today I did the drill mod, put everything back together, insulated the braided line, did a traditional bleed then mightyvac'd the system. When I brought the car on the highway for a test drive, still couldn't get it into third above 5500 rpms.

I'm guessing the stock '99 master and slave are still holding me back regardless of having the drill mod done. I also think that the black gunk may still be gumming up the master and slave a bit.

I'm going to replace the hydraulics when I get a new clutch, so we'll see if that fixes things. If not, time to beef up the tranny...it's gonna need it for the turbo system I'm building anyway.

Just my experience.

Oh and I have the stock shifter with a short stick, stock clutch, stock T56...in case anyone was wondering.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:53 PM
10 Second Club

I have a 2000 and I had the same problem. Anything over 5500 rpm's and it wouldn't shift. I didn't do the drill mod but I did change out the slave for an '02 and it worked like a charm. I'm still running the stock master. I have the Textralia and they recommended I stick with the stock master. Not sure why but it's working like a charm.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope I have better luck than you!
Old 09-10-2006, 04:18 AM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

I tried it and it was an 160some doller error.. I had to reorder one from GMPARTS direct.