Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Replacing the pinion seal

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the pinion seal

I have the transmission out of my '98 trans am right now. I noticed that my pinion seal is leaking. Do I have to replace the crush sleeve, or can I just remove the yoke, replace the seal, and then replace the yoke?

Thanks for any advice!
Old 10-26-2006, 12:15 AM
Teching In

I did that but i counted the showing threads on the pinion after the pinion nut so i know how much to tighten it after i put it back together and i had no problem.
Good luck
Old 10-26-2006, 02:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put 3 pinion seals on my car this spring and still have a drip. I used red RTV around the seal and pinion splines. Next time it was suggested I pack the splines with gear grease before re-assembling. It is easy to do, but a pisser when it keeps leaking.... Good luck with yours. Hopefully it works like ls16spd's did. I did the same thing he did.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Veteran

after a few times, the smell of gear oil starts annoying you huh?

mine when i did it kept leaking from between the pinion nut and yoke. i used alot of the black RTV, nothing. finally i realized i put too much TQ on the crush sleeve and instead of me tearing the rear apart, i just had 4.10's put in with new bearings and sleeve. i should've gotten a solid spacer though so i can impact gun the nut on.

Originally Posted by Hugger Z
I put 3 pinion seals on my car this spring and still have a drip. I used red RTV around the seal and pinion splines. Next time it was suggested I pack the splines with gear grease before re-assembling. It is easy to do, but a pisser when it keeps leaking.... Good luck with yours. Hopefully it works like ls16spd's did. I did the same thing he did.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Teching In

To do the job properly the crush sleeve needs to be replaced and bearing preload reset. Or try your luck the way most people do it, which is change the seal and lightly torque the nut back down but I don't advise.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advice. I think I will just let it leak a little while, until I am ready to change the gears.

Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: Replacing the pinion seal