Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Started my install....

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Started my install....

Started my Clutch install tonight(man that console is a bitch to remove ), but anyways I was just bored. So wish me luck. Ls7/Ls2 combo going in . Just wanted some imput on some of the little things that pissed you off on your install.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Man if your having trouble getting the console out...your gunna have a HELL of a time getting the trans in and out. haha

but anyway, i put my LS7/LS2 combo in a couple weeks ago. install is pretty straight forward. pull the old stuff off, bolt the new stuff on. nothing to difficult, just make sure you torque everything down to the correct specs.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

Its going to suck but you really should pull that pilot bearing. Well I say its going to suck but thats just because mine did. Let me know through this thread or a pm if you need any help with that bearing or any other part of the install. Oh and the bellhousing may have to be wrestled off as well. Don't pry anything because its aluminum and you dont want to scar it. If you are doing this with jackstands or ramps, put your feet on the control arms and just yank one side then the other a couple of times. Use antiseeze on those dowel pins so if you have to remove it, it will be cake the second go around... .
Old 11-18-2006, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

WOW, This **** is fun.... fmy body feels like I got in a cage fight. The tranny is about a foot back and lowered a little bit, but i dont think we are going to completely take it out from under the car. Got my slave out, and the seal on it is completely demolished. That passenger side upper bolt was fun . I would appreciate any otyher little info, i have been using install university but they leave out a alot of little things on the install. Now i am going to go take off the bell housing and take of the clutch wish me luck.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Alright pilot bearing time.....any secrets?????
Old 11-18-2006, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Alright got it out.... look at my post times for how easy that pilot bearing was . The most precious drilling i have ever done. Time to continue its only 10:00 Here.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:27 PM
12 Second Club

Nice...Keep up the good work. Be sure that you grease up your input shaft on the transmission on the tip where the bearing will roll and on the star gear where it meets with the clutch disk. Also you need to grease the output shaft star gear that connects with the drive shaft. The rest of the install isn't that bad. Holler if you need some help...

Josh
Old 11-19-2006, 03:24 AM
On The Tree

Man we have the tranny about a 3/4 of an inch from getting in and we just cant get it. If you know any tricks plz help.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Any tricks???
Old 11-19-2006, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

GOT IT! it was just hard as hell, our biggest problem was fighting against the tranny jack. It takes tons of muscling around to get the dowells to line up. That top bolt is going to be hard you guys have any tricks?
Old 11-19-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a small piece of tape on the socket will give that little bit of resistance needed to keep the bolts in the socket when trying to get it to reach the upper bolts.

Steady hands and a LOT of patience.

Note you can tip engine and transmission down a bit in order to get a bit more clearance to reaching the upper bolts. Also remove any plastic tab pieces like the one holding the vent line. It will save you a lot of pain when reaching that passenger side bolt.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Ya thanks eneded up doing the tape, somehow I was lucky enough to reatach that breather that slides over that bolt. I am just buttoning everything up and cant wait to try it out.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Everything is done, and she drives great! , I have read on many post's that the ls7 engages early on the clutch pedal, but it will go normal after a few hundred miles?

Quick Reply: Started my install....