Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

stuck in 3rd gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down stuck in 3rd gear

Driving down the road yesterday and the transmission got stuck in 3rd gear, won't come out no matter how hard I pull. I'm going to rebuild the transmission when my rebuild ket gets here, but the manual says the transmission has to be in 3-4 neutral position. How can I get to 3-4 neutral if it is stuck in 3rd? or will the trans come apart even if it is locked in gear?
Old 02-10-2007, 01:06 PM
9 Second Club

Were you clubbing on the car when it got stuck in 3rd gear? If so you probably bent the slider keys and its bound up on the slider hub, or even broke one and its lodged in the slidder assy. And yes you can rebuild the trans with out it being in neutral when you start tearing the trans apart you have to drive out a roll pin from the rod and cup (the little part that excepts the ball from the shifter). You'll have to pay very close attention when you pick the main case up to expose the main assy.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Teching In

nah, my synchro has been acting up for about 2 years now....finally gave out on me. I knew it would fail one day, but I wasn't going to rebuild the trans until I had to.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have been seeing probs for 2 years and di nothing but progress the prob you will certainly be in for $$$$ replacemnet parts. Do not be foolish again and not replace the aluminum 3/4 fork with the fx iron part.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by calhoon
If you have been seeing probs for 2 years and di nothing but progress the prob you will certainly be in for $$$$ replacemnet parts. Do not be foolish again and not replace the aluminum 3/4 fork with the fx iron part.
wasn't really that big of a problem, just had to match rpms when going into 3rd to it didn't try to pop out.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:20 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmokn98
Driving down the road yesterday and the transmission got stuck in 3rd gear, won't come out no matter how hard I pull. I'm going to rebuild the transmission when my rebuild ket gets here, but the manual says the transmission has to be in 3-4 neutral position. How can I get to 3-4 neutral if it is stuck in 3rd? or will the trans come apart even if it is locked in gear?
Once you get the case off you can get at everything, my best bud's brother had the same issue, Stuck in forth, a synchro broke off and wedged in the part where it allows for it to shift.

Good luck on the rebuild
Old 02-14-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It is stuck in gear b/c of the slider keys being bent/broke....The syncro's being bad dont cause it to get stuck in gear- but cause grinding getting into the gear. Be sure you replace the stamped crap keys with billet slider keys for 1-4 gears. Being that you have waited so long and having previous problems you may end up needing to replace slider rings, and gears to. Only way to know for sure is to tear into it.