Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hurst billet plus = WOW

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 03:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurst billet plus = WOW

Just wanted to give some feedback on my new combo. I just installed a new hurst billet plus shifter witha 6 inch ws.6 store short stick and ditched the baseball for a more ergonomic handle.

The stock shifter had a spongy feel to it and just felt like eventually something would break, a lot of that had to do with the fact that the shifter bolts were loose and the shifter assemble literally could wobble, it wasn't bad but under normal driving it just made me feel like the stock shifter was a real POS, i didnt realize the problem. It probably isn't a bad idea to periodically check that as i lost a considrable amount of gearbox fluid from that.

Most importantly...the new shifter. It is a bit firm for my taste but I can live with it. The wife can't. I'll be removing the tension springs eventually. As far as drivability goes, i have been able to powershift every gear change up to 5th except 2-3 with the stock shifter. Tried a few runs, all I can say is it's awsome. The shifter really helps the 2-3 shift and it has a sturdy feel with little vibration. In sum I have a lot more confidence and there is a dramatic improvement banging through the gears. Yay for Hurst.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:47 AM
10 Second Club

I think I'm gonna get one, most seem to go with the Pro 5.0 guess anything is better than the stock one
Old 02-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

^^^pro5.0 ftw...

but I'm glad you're happy!!
Old 02-14-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I attest for the Billet Plus... I LOVE this shifter... stupid firm, but thats how I like it... I have yet to miss a gear. And true that! G/f wont go near it!
Old 02-14-2007, 08:10 PM
12 Second Club

The hurst billet plus is an awesome shifter.... much better than my friends pro 5.0 IMO
Old 02-15-2007, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a hurst billet plus shifter listed in the for sale section, like new, for $125
Old 02-15-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by '00Formula
The hurst billet plus is an awesome shifter.... much better than my friends pro 5.0 IMO

Explain how its better?

Maybe you like it better?
Old 02-15-2007, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

When comes down to what you like.

I love my hurst **** with the LSS. Its nice sweet short shifts and very nice feeling!

Like the best mod for a stick car is a good shifter!
Old 02-15-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by coolformula
When comes down to what you like.

I love my hurst **** with the LSS. Its nice sweet short shifts and very nice feeling!

Like the best mod for a stick car is a good shifter!
The short stick really makes a nice diff, I agree it is a nice mod to get done, It'll def be first on the next car.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:21 PM
10 Second Club

What is so stiff about the shifter? I installed a billet plus a couple of months ago and absolutely love it! I kept the stock springs in it and it feels great. My grilfriend has no problem with it at all and even noticed how much better it shifts compared to the stock ones.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I also have a Hurst Billet Plus. I love it. The stock non-hurst shifter I had, was TERRIBLE. It was a spongey, loose POS. And it was way too tall. I felt like I was driving a manual C5 pickup because of how tall/long it was. However the stick that came on the billet plus out of the box was actually about a 1/2" taller but the shifting mechanism was a higher ratio pivet. I put a WS6 store 6" short stick on there instead, and WOW. Its such a huge difference between the stock shifter and this new setup. I love it. I've never driven a car with a Pro 5.0 shifter, but I heard they can be a little too noisy. Plus, HURST is like the king of shifters. Everyone knows HURST and they have been around for years.

Quick Reply: Hurst billet plus = WOW