Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

11" Centerforce DF Question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 11" Centerforce DF Question?

I'm planning on picking up a 11" DF Centerforce from Summit in the morning, I live near the new Summit store near Atlanta.

I know everyone says to resurface the stock flywheel and balance the new pressure plate and flywheel as a unit. Is this totally necessary? I barely have the money to get my clutch (college is eating my funds) and I really don't want to have to get it balanced. If I were to bolt the new clutch/pressure plate combo to the stock flywheel will it be out of balance? Or is the DF clutch/pp combo matched for the stock zero balance flywheel? Could I bolt up the new 11" DF and be ok... or is it a hit and miss scenario?

If I have to, I'll have it balanced, but I'd love to just bolt it up and drive.
Can anyone recommend a competent shop near Atlanta to balance the flywheel/pp?

I checked searched the postings, but I wanted to get some specific info on the Centerforce 11" DF.

Thanks,
Clif
Old 03-04-2007, 10:25 PM
12 Second Club

I have spun my D/F pressure plate past 8000 rpm on a 283 Chevy with no vibration trouble. I never had it balanced. Most performance aftermarket Chevy V8 pressure plates I have seen are zero balanced. Since Centerforce is a stock replacement unit, I would not think it would have a different balance than the factory unit. Call centerforce and ask them.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Teching In

i bought mine and just bolted it in, havent had any problems on mine, and its been in for over a year now. still feels like its gonna rip out the dash on a 3 grand launch.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:39 PM
12 Second Club

My friend just had his flywheel resurfaced, and it ran fine. He ended up not liking the clutch thow.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help. I went to Summit and picked up the DF clutch last Saturday. I talked to some of my friends who have ran the DF and they love it.

Clif

Quick Reply: 11" Centerforce DF Question?