Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bent 3/4 shift fork? (search not working)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 12:27 PM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bent 3/4 shift fork? (search not working)

Hey guys,

I can't search for a thread that lists the symptoms, and I want to verify that I have a bent 3/4 shift fork. A few weeks ago at the track my car got stuck in 4th at the end of the track. I managed to get back to my spot, parked, and fiddled with it. I ended up slapping the shifter a few times, and it came out of gear. So, I drove a few minutes, and everything was fine. I had no troubles for the rest of the day.

Since then it's happened 3-4 more times, and every time I gave the shift **** a few slaps, and it would pop out of 4th. Today coming back from lunch, it happened every time I let the clutch out in fourth. If I sat at a light shifting back and forth between 3 and 4, it was fine. As soon as I would let the clutch out in 4th while driving, it would be stuck. It's usually fairly easy to get it out of gear, but it does take a smack on the shifter stick.

I hear that the 3/4 shift fork is made out of some bullshit metal that bends easily. Do you think this is my problem?
Old 06-19-2007, 07:32 PM
wrencher

No, it sounds like you broke the slider keys on the 3/4 synhcro though.
That is also common failure problem for them to get it stuck in gear.
but it really dont matter, you need a rebuild now anyway, I would sugest the new 3/4 fork, along with billet 3/4 keys & bronze shift fork pads.
(In addition to the standard rebuild componets)
Old 06-19-2007, 10:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gauge
I hear that the 3/4 shift fork is made out of some bullshit metal that bends easily
The 3/4 shift fork is aluminum, as is the 1/2 fork. They are massive and obviously very strong. The fact that the Viper version of the T56 has a steel 3/4 fork suggests that it is possible to distort the aluminum fork but it wouldn't be easy.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:01 AM
11Second Club

Well, on the way home yesterday it didn't happen at all. I guess I'll wait until it becomes critical since it's not my daily. Luckily, since it's the last gear I use at the track, if it does get stuck, I can deal with it after my run, and it won't affect my racing.

Good thing I have a GM service manual at home. Might be time for my first tranny rebuild!

Quick Reply: Bent 3/4 shift fork? (search not working)