Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

what did I break??

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what did I break??

So I was at the track last night for a T&T, made two quick passes right away both in the 13.3-4 range. I than let the car sit for about 45mins while I watched others race. I launch of idle and shifted every time at 5800rpms the third pass was my last one for my last night, On the 2-3 shift I shifted hard to third like every other time, as soon as i pressed the clutch and shifted at the same time the rear end felt like it locked up for a split second an than the next thing I knew the car was in neutral and still running. By know I was already going for the clutch to get it back into third but the pedal was stuck to the floor. coasted to the end and got out of the car to see if anything was hanging underneath, nothing it looked fine. I tryed for 5-10 mins to pump the clutch to get it in gear finally i just forced it into first drove up the the entrance gates and got on the road to head home 50mins normally later down the road I was able to find without the clutch second gear with no clutch Made it threw at least 8 intersections with out using the clutch. made it home and pushed it into the shop after driving 1.5 hours at 3700rpm.

any ideas what i broke

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:01 AM
10 Second Club

This reminds me of my car, although in your case I think more details would be helpful. You may have to just tear it apart to see. You could have lost the hydraulics, just need to rebleed the system and put in new fluid, or a worst case scenario may have happened.

In my case when I lost my clutch in my Vette, putting it in the air showed a ventilated bell housing, where a flywheel bolt (improperly installed by a Chevrolet dealer) worked free and gutted the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, slave cylinder, and knicked the starter. My only symptom was a low engaging clutch that faded away to nothing... no clutch at all (it was engaged and would not disengage but wasn't slipping at all). Luckily I limped it home and then flatbedded it to a dealership...

BTW, my clutch only had ~9K on it when the flywheel bolt caused my car to commit Seppuku...
Old 07-13-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

This happened to me when my Centerforce clutch disk exploded into pieces. It did it on the 3-4 shift. Apparently, while the clutch was disengaged, it shredded and got jammed up in there, causing it to be stuck engaged. I tried the pumping, too, to no avail until pumping finally released the jam, and it disengaged for good. When I pulled it apart, the only thing left of the clutch disk was the hub.

You also could have overextended your slave (which likes to happen at an excited moment during an excited shift)... and it would have dumped a bunch of fluid out of the bellhousing. Did you see any drips?
Old 07-13-2007, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

No there is no dips of hyd fluid. Just got home from work today and began tearing into the removal, so far I have the drive shaft out, shifter and all the wire connectors on trans are apart. Let you know what I find inside the bellhousing soon.

Kyle.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

ha ha mine did that too but it was downshifting into second to pass, my centerforce gold disc blew up and half of it was missing or rather turned to dust inside the bell housing. time for a clutch bro. oh and I was laughing at myself not your situation. ~Guy
Old 07-13-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the time my master cylinder crapped out on me...
Old 07-14-2007, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Well I had no idea that my car already had an aftermarket clutch turns out it was a centerforce df clutch! The disc blew apart sheared almost all the rivets of the disc and the pressure plate has weights missing along with bent and broken fingers.
I have been looking at ram hd clutch would it be a good replacement, I just ordered and 01-02 slave , should I also look into a master cylinder too.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a RAM HD in an old 3rd gen I had retrofitted a T56 into, and it did the same to me at the track. The clutch only had about 10k miles on it or so, except mine shattered going into 2nd. That was behind mild 383. Replaced it with a spec stage 3 and never looked back.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99TransAmLS16Spd
I had a RAM HD in an old 3rd gen I had retrofitted a T56 into, and it did the same to me at the track. The clutch only had about 10k miles on it or so, except mine shattered going into 2nd. That was behind mild 383. Replaced it with a spec stage 3 and never looked back.
you need to update your sig then

Quick Reply: what did I break??