Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Can Anyone Diagnose This Problem????

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Anyone Diagnose This Problem????

Ok, about a year ago, I had my slave just go out on me. Went and swapped it out, put a new clutch in it as well while I was there. Ever since then, shifting has not been right. When I shift the car, it rarely engages smoothly. It will somewhat grind or just clunk once as it's engaging. This is not a single gear either, it does it to ever gear. So, after the clutch broke in and didn't it still shifted rough, I swapped the clutch again (spec 3 this time) and put in another slave. The problem still persists. It does not do it every shift, which is the weird part, but 80% of the time, it does it.

This is all happening during daily driving, not getting on it, but if I do get on it, the problem is worse. Harder to get into gear, takes longer to engage, will often grind trying to engage. I don't think this is clutch related as it engages, just shifts rough. I've read 500 threads on here to see if anyone had this issue and can't find a thing. Someone, please HELP!
Old 07-19-2007, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest problem with clutches on these cars is the bleeding. You can bleed them the old fashioned way, but you have to do it alot and make extra sure you get all the air out. Or use a mityvac system. You could also have a master cylinder problem. I think most everybody either buys an adjustable master or gets the stocker threaded to make it adjustable. It sounds to me you have alot of air in the line or your master is going out. I'm not an expert on this, but I was having the same problems like you except mine was due to air in the lines. Good luck and someone else may chime in with more info.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have hydraulic problems, you need to bleed the clutch really good to start with.