Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

what part is this...pics inside.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what part is this...pics inside.

picked up a LT1 T56 for dirt cheap, but due to some misshandling the last owner broke a piece on it. It's a metal sleeve that goes around the input shaft and I believe the TOB slides onto the sleeve. anyone know the name of the part or part number? Also does anyone know how far I have to tear into it to replace it. I'm waiting for a rebuild manual to arrive, so I haven't removed any bolts yet, just in case.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

that piece is atually part of that whole aouter casing i think, i dont think it is soposed to spin
the part is called the Trans front adapt plate.
12523036 is the gm part number i have for that plate, but i looked up that number on gmpartsdirect.com and i guess they dont make it any more cause the number didnt bring up anything.
I guess your best bet is to take that number to a chevy dealer and see if there is a new number

dont take my word for it, but i think you would be just fine taking that off and just using the trans as is

Last edited by meatyshells; 07-19-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:58 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I also show that it is part of the front plate....the plate number in GM's system shows to be 12523037, but it is discontinued...I ran a locater on it and could not find any dealers with any stock left on it.

Checked 12523036 as well, looks like maybe a superceded number, but could not find any supercession info on it or OE listings for that number.

Might wanna try some salvage yards or SixSpeedsInc to see what you can find!!

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 07-19-2007, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

hmm....interesting to know. I'm almost convinced it's removable somehow though, because I've seen other pics of LT1 T56's without it on there and it doesn't have the LS1 style front cover either.

I guess if I don't findout anything from Sixspeedsinc, I'll just have to pull the cover and look for myself. The tranny was great up until it was pulled, so I'm gonna be a little annoyed if I can't fix it.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

yeah that would suck to have a tranny ruined just because of that one little part
Old 07-20-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its called a guide tube and it is replaceable. The catch is properly installing ( its pressed in) it in the casting . Also proper placement of the seal in the cup portion is even more important( it has a specific location . If you place it at the bottom of the cup, it will leak). You should be looking to a Tremec dealer instead of a GM store. They can help with the install as well.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:52 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

you can pull the front cover without disassembly of the rest of the trans. Just keep an eye on the races & shims for the front bearings of the counter & input shafts; they may drop out of the front cover assy during dis & re-assembly.

Quick Reply: what part is this...pics inside.