Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hard to downshift sometimes.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to downshift sometimes.

Sometimes when I try to go from say 3rd to 2nd, it dosnt want to go. Is it because I am going to fast? I notice when I slow down more it goes in easy. If I feel resistance when shifting it into a gear should I force it or does that mean I am at the wrong MPH for that gear?

I'm very new to manual transmission so any feedback would be appreciated.

btw: I have an aftermarket shifter ( don't know what kind, came with car. ) if that means anything.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:26 PM
12 Second Club

What type of downshifting are you doing? Aggressive downshifting to accelerate or what?
Old 07-31-2007, 02:50 PM

For example, I'll be going say 40mph in 3rd 2.8K - 3.1K RPM, then I have to hit the breaks. The car is now going 22mph and the rpms are burbling at 1.2Krpm so I think "better go to a lower gear to bring the RPM up". I go to shift into second and it feels like there is something in the way. I slow down a bit more, and make sure I'm pushing the clutch all the way, and it goes in.

I asked my friend about this once, and he said if your going too fast for a certain gear it will be hard to shift to that gear. Is that correct or is there perhaps a broken part in my tranny?

Edit: This has only happened like 2 times so far, and I think I might have not been pushing the clutch all the way. Does not pushing the clutch down all the way cause this?
Old 07-31-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok...1. push the clutch down all the way 2. When slowing down with the breaks push the clutch in to disengage the motor...then you can select the new gear you want...simple

Quick Reply: Hard to downshift sometimes.