Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clunky shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clunky shifter?

Does anyone else have a very clunky shifter? Mine shifts good, no problems other than the fact that it is extremely notchy. It requires a really firm hand to shift it hard/fast.

Best i could describe it is: When you shift it kinda hits a lil resistance than you pull it through there and it clicks into gear. It does it consistantly in every single gear, up and down shifting. Is this a sign of wear? Does the shifter just need lube? Is it a problem w/ the trans? There is not grinding ever, and have only over missed a gear 3 times, one while racing (just got excited), and twice while lazily driving and simply not fully clicking it into gear. It has never refused a gear change or made a gate hard to find either.

I'm on the stock Hurst w/ a ws6store 6.5" stick.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:50 PM
Dex
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure its normal with our transmission. Mine has all of 19,000 miles on it and is just as you describe your except. Mine is more difficult or problematic in first and second either not wanting to go in at all or stiff as all can be or not wanting to go into second with not so much grinding but you can feel it bounce off all the second gear teeth before it goes in. Not much but just enough to make you not like to shift into second. One day i'm gonna go through the transmission and replace the 1,2 syconizer and shift fork most likely probably second gear also. Go gm **** ups
Also stock hurst shifter and ws6store 6" stick
Old 11-17-2007, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the stock Hurst shifter was a bit notchy in mine as well, and the Pro 5.0 i have now is a little bit more notchy when shifting, but it is a lot more solid and doesn't shake/rattle at all like the stock one did. my stock shifter stick would shake from front to back while i was sitting still in idle, or even a little bit when in gear....once i changed to the Pro 5.0, i can leave it in neutral or in gear while sitting still, and the stick doesn't shake at all....it's really solidly planted in place.

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but the B&M Ripper shifter is what you want if you want really smooth shifts without as much of the "notchy" feel.

the thing that sucks about the B&M though, is that the stick isn't bolted onto the shifter like it is with the Pro 5.0, so in order to make the stick shorter, you either have to cut off some of the threads, or cut off all the threads to the length you want, then re-thread the new section of stick for your **** to go on.

Quick Reply: Clunky shifter?