Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pop-outs

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 02:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pop-outs

How bad are pop-outs? And are they a sign of something bad? It has only happened in 1st and 4th.

It could be my own fault, but sometimes my shifter feels like there's 2 catch points in 1st and 4th. Halfway in, and all the way in. When I let go of the shifter at the half-way point, depending on how fast I'm moving, the gearbox will make a soft "clunk" noise or a really damn loud one, and "pop" back into neutral. One time I did it in 1st while rolling and it scared the **** out of me.

Hopefully I didn't fugg up my transmission...yet.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rebuild time... it'll only get worse.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:44 AM
Banned

Make sure your stops on the shifter are adjusted correctly if its an aftermarket unit . If not , it could be getting close to a rebuild time .
Old 11-23-2007, 08:01 PM
Restricted User

Sounds like someone needs a rebuild...
Old 11-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thesource
Make sure your stops on the shifter are adjusted correctly if its an aftermarket unit . If not , it could be getting close to a rebuild time .
Good advice. I recently had a problem with my transmission where I thought I needed to rebuild. My 2nd gear began grinding and popping out, shortly after 4th gear did the same. Something seemed wierd since my car only had 26k miles on it.

I took some time and took apart the whole center console to get to my pro 5.0. I found out the adjuster bolts went inwards due to the transmitted vibrations in the gearbox. My shifter could not even engage 2nd or 4th gear, I also lost 6th gear too that day because the bolts stopped it..... basically all my even bottom gears didn't go into gear.

I adjsusted the bolts and put some thread lock on them, car runs perfect, as it should.

Quick Reply: Pop-outs