Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pops outta first gear?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pops outta first gear?

Sometimes when I'm moving along slowly (5 mph or even less) and riding the clutch, the shifter would pop outta first gear. Why is this?
Old 12-18-2007, 09:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fork pads are probably worn or damaged. Does it pop our sometimes when you engage it and start to take off? If the pads are broken or worn, the slider may not fully engage the gear, causing it to pop out. If thats the case, most of the time you should be able to hold it in gear until the clutch is completely out, then it will stay in no problem.

Also, it could just mean that the syncro assembly (slider) is just worn. One last thing to check if you have an aftermarket shifter is the stops on the shifter. If they aren't adjusted correctly, the transmission may pop out of gear also. Make sure there is some clearance between the stop and the stick when in gear with some pressure against the stick.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:08 AM
12 Second Club

The holding it in method will only work for so long. Eventually the problem will get to the point that no matter what it will not stay in first and just pop out. Everything Jonathon said is right though...

If you are pulling the tranny anytime soon it sucks but just swallow your pride and wallet and get a rebuild. It's probably the best maintainence/mod that I ever did.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by connexion2005
The holding it in method will only work for so long. Eventually the problem will get to the point that no matter what it will not stay in first and just pop out. Everything Jonathon said is right though...

If you are pulling the tranny anytime soon it sucks but just swallow your pride and wallet and get a rebuild. It's probably the best maintainence/mod that I ever did.
It was rebuilt about 4k miles ago by the previous owner.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

Wow...what shifter are you running then? Was it rebuilt by the actual owner? Or a shop the owner took it to?
Old 12-19-2007, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Stock shifter. I believe he took it to a shop, but I'm not sure.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:13 PM
Banned

It might have some end play in it and the main shaft it moving in and out at low speeds causing it to pop out of gear but more than likely its the shift fork pads worn some .