strange shifting issue-t56

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default strange shifting issue-t56

ok the engine/tranny is a 99 ls1 t56 stuffed into a 87 rx7
this is the issue
the tranny shifts smooth into all gears when the engine is off.while ideling and the clutch pedal pressed in ,the car will go into 1st,4th.5th,6th and reverse.while moving all gears with no issues.clutch fluid is getting a bit dark too,engine and tranny 25,xxx miles any ideas on where to start??? thanks
Old 12-22-2007, 07:30 PM
11 Second Club

hmmmmmmm, i would start by replacing your clutch fluid until it is clear. Then bleed the slave a couple of times and see where that gets you. Maybe check your electrical connections on the T56. no 2-3 almost sounds like a CAGS problem perhaps, with the skipshift solenoid, it could be locking you out of 2nd and 3rd? i could be wrong about the CAGS though. just throwing it out there.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98TADRIVER
hmmmmmmm, i would start by replacing your clutch fluid until it is clear. Then bleed the slave a couple of times and see where that gets you. Maybe check your electrical connections on the T56. no 2-3 almost sounds like a CAGS problem perhaps, with the skipshift solenoid, it could be locking you out of 2nd and 3rd? i could be wrong about the CAGS though. just throwing it out there.
i will give that a try.i have a resistor in line for cags maybe something happened to to it.and change out the fluid this weekend thanks
Old 12-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Default Bad CAGS solenoid

Definitely sounds like a CAGS problem.

I would try turning the car off, pressing in the clutch and trying it again. If it still won't shift with the engine off, you'll know the problem is in the tranny and is not your clutch.

If you have disconnected the CAGS solenoid to put your resistor on the connector, maybe your CAGS solenoid got wacked and is in the engaged position? (If its disconnected, there's no way the computer could have commanded it to activate.) You may try removing the CAGS solenoid or giving it a love tap with a hammer to see if that fixes it for you. Not sure, but would bet that if you remove the solenoid, you'll also get some trans fluid drainage and will need to capture/refil.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

make sure that it is in the right plug I justed had an ls7 clutch installed and the guy plugged the reserve lock out in to the skip ship and I had the same problem